X

im thinking about makeing my own manometer...questions first

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• im thinking about makeing my own manometer...questions first

now Ive read on here that you do the 3/4 carbs first, then the 1/2 carbs but my question is the last part of it is 1/2 and 3/4 but the homemade manometers ive seen people using can only hook up to 2 at a time or do you only do the 2 middles ones together?

and also if I use water is it safe? and how much do I fill up the glass bottles?

another question is the fuel setup, Ive seen people using funnels do you have to constantly keep pouring gas in or just ever so often?

just trying to find out everything I can about it before I actually do it! thanks

Originally posted by dnlreiss View Post
    now Ive read on here that you do the 3/4 carbs first, then the 1/2 carbs but my question is the last part of it is 1/2 and 3/4 but the homemade manometers ive seen people using can only hook up to 2 at a time or do you only do the 2 middles ones together?

and also if I use water is it safe? and how much do I fill up the glass bottles?

another question is the fuel setup, Ive seen people using funnels do you have to constantly keep pouring gas in or just ever so often?

just trying to find out everything I can about it before I actually do it! thanks

Plug the meter on 3/4, sync the pair. They are set, so pull the meter off and cap them.

Plug the meter on 1/2, sync the pair. They are set, so now time to sync the pairs together.

Plug the meter on one each of the pairs... say like... 2 and 3. Sync the sets together now.

Anytime a carb sync port is not in use, it's plugged.

If your not sure, you can always go back and check your syncs, but I've never had an issue with a pair coming out of sync from each other, when I've synced the pairs together (yep, I've checked... done this way too many times on Kat carbs to count).

I use a maximum of 1/2 of one bottle in fluid. This way even if one bottle gets all the fluid, it's still only half full and isn't sucking any into the vacuum sync lines as they end at the very top of the bottle. The line between the bottles go to the very bottom so they will pull fluid till either side is empty.

It's easier if you have a constant feed fuel source, but yes... you can use funnels and/or another source and just add fuel every so often.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Nice! Now I feel better about doing it myself, thanks alot!

Comment

Be careful if you use water. I tried to take the cheap route and make my own manometer, and I ended up almost getting water sucked into the carbs because they were so far off sync. Just a word of caution.

I recommend getting a gauge set. I think I got mine for around $30 with hoses, mounted to a slab of aluminum.

Comment

Linked to not flood the page...
          http://i48.tinypic.com/6zq255.jpg
          http://i48.tinypic.com/2cxvwwp.jpg
          http://i50.tinypic.com/rsvig5.jpg

Here's the DIY style I use, and the crafted fuel supply & hanger (literally a coat hanger if you couldn't tell). Sorry the pics are upside down, I could go back and rotate them, save them, and re upload. But I find that unnecessary to get the idea (there's other threads on this anyways). Remember if you make a sealed fuel supply like this you'll have to give it a vent hole in the bottom (which would be the top while hanging) or it'll suck the bottle together and maybe counter the vacuum pull in the fuel line. I did this to prevent major spill as I'm clumsy and so is my helper.... errr, girlfriend too.... A better helper though Also, it just so happened that the size tubing used to adapt down to the 1-3 vacuum nubs, which I also used for the fuel supply, fits perfectly into my fuel line. Saved me another trip finding an appropriately sized funnel or more tubing. This is IMO easier to use than the 2 bottle method, and just as accurate.

Comment

I know you said nothing about Stop/Start but do you shut the engine off when switching hoses ?
            CHILL WILL

Comment

Working...
            X