No announcement yet.
X

How much do you miss your centre stand?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much do you miss your centre stand?

Well, I've been tossing around the idea of removing my centre stand. But then I feel like, if I remove it, I am going to want to use it again in 2 days, a week, who knows?

It's been handy to pivot the bike around my small garage without having to 15 point turn it, but that's really it's only purpose other than when the chain needs waxing

So I guess my question, do you miss it or wish you still had it?
    -Brandon

Originally posted by badwithcomputer View Post
    Well, I've been tossing around the idea of removing my centre stand. But then I feel like, if I remove it, I am going to want to use it again in 2 days, a week, who knows?

It's been handy to pivot the bike around my small garage without having to 15 point turn it, but that's really it's only purpose other than when the chain needs waxing

So I guess my question, do you miss it or wish you still had it?
    I just bought a bike that doesn't have it. I really, really wish it did. Cleaning and lubing the chain every 400-600 miles is a PITA without one, as well as things like checking brakes, bleeding brake lines, all kinds of stuff.

Comment

you make vaild points, sir.

I just read that you have to remove the pipe and mid pipe to get at one of the bolts. doesn't seem like an extra step i want to take.
      -Brandon

Comment

First exhaust I put on my bandit had no center stand stop so I removed the stand
        I fabbed a stop that bolted to the center stand mount so I could put it back on
        I like it for maintanence and storage
        Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I've never had one

But that's what I have race stands for now
          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          Originally posted by soulless kaos
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I have one just never use it.
            `03 Shadow VLX
            `92 Kat 750 Project
            ~M109R in the near future
            Originally posted by arsenic
            Oil's like religion, there's a million of them and yours is wrong.

Comment

I won't own a bike without one.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

If you have a race stand / paddock stand and do short trips that return the bike to your garage daily you will probably not miss a centre stand much. If however, you regularly head away on extended tours, the centre stand is invaluable for those daily pre-ride checks and services at a fuel stop, camp ground or hotel carpark. Personally, I don't see the point in removing a perfectly good and useful centrestand, unless you are prepping for a track day. It's not like you gain bucket loads of clearance or lose significant weight.

Comment

I have never had a bike that had a center stand, so I don't miss it, but there are times that I wish I had one. I'd say if you don't have to take it off, just leave it on there.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                    I've never had one

But that's what I have race stands for now
                    I always have my center stand with me
                    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                      If you have a race stand / paddock stand and do short trips that return the bike to your garage daily you will probably not miss a centre stand much. If however, you regularly head away on extended tours, the centre stand is invaluable for those daily pre-ride checks and services at a fuel stop, camp ground or hotel carpark. Personally, I don't see the point in removing a perfectly good and useful centrestand, unless you are prepping for a track day. It's not like you gain bucket loads of clearance or lose significant weight.
                      I ride a race bike, the longest I'm ever on it is a 280 mile loop around home that takes about four hours.

I don't commute, I don't tour, and my bike sleeps in my garage every single night.

If my bike had an option for a centerstand, I would have removed it first thing, but thats just for my style of riding.
                      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                      Originally posted by soulless kaos
                      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If you use the center stand to rotate the bike around, eventually the bolt holes will "waller" out and it won't fit correctly.
                        -Steve

sigpic
                        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

why do you want to remove it?

You've got to have the bike way over before it'll rub on the ground, it's not heavy enough to justify the weight loss you'll get from taking it off.
                          Kyle

Comment

My bike has a center stand. The other kats in the garage don't.

Drives me freaking nuts!!!! when i have to work on the other ones. :

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                              I ride a race bike, the longest I'm ever on it is a 280 mile loop around home that takes about four hours.

I don't commute, I don't tour, and my bike sleeps in my garage every single night.

If my bike had an option for a centerstand, I would have removed it first thing, but thats just for my style of riding.
                              Yep! My post was for the OP. Just pointing out that there are times when a centre stand is useful ... essential even. And times, like for you, when they are totally obsolete.

Comment

Working...
                              X