X

Time to use my "ask the audience"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
    Black......and round ....are good. Depends on what you expect to do on them. Google is your best friend.
    I didn't know Google made tires now?.... WOW.. what next....
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Scotty, helpful as always. HD, thanks for the info. Didn't know what happened with the Battleaxes reputation. Wonder if the BT14 and 15s are specifically made to be OEM fitted.

As I remember, the BT45s were the thing back in the 90s. (Thinking about it, it was the early 90s I'm thinking of, not even the mid-90s. Showing my age here...) Back then bias-ply was pretty much the standard.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Continental Road Attack, or Road Attack 2, would be my faves.
        ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
        チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
        Semper Fi

Comment

I'm wondering how large over stock size can I go on the tires or is that not an option?
          Last edited by Samuraiace; 05-14-2012, 10:16 PM.

Comment

OK, there's LOTS of threads on this. Generally, you can go 10 wider than stock but any more than that and you're distorting the tread so much that you actually end up losing contact surface. My '96 750 came with a 120 front and 150 rear. That worked pretty well. When I replaced the tires I tried going back to the stock 110 on the front and discovered that I liked the 120 better. The 110 just felt too twitchy.

What it comes down to is that it's your choice. Don't go too wide without swapping to a wider rim but you're going to have to form your own opinion as to what you like. Scary, huh?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Man....I ugh.......Wow, yeah scary

Comment

OK, let's try to make it a little less intimidating. 120 works great in the front and 150 is fine for the rear. It's a Katana, not some super high performance bike that's going to live on the track being ridden at 9/10ths or better. Go with whichever of the recommended tires will cost you the least and take some time getting to know them. Most modern tires will start to slip gradually, not all of a sudden so you'll have plenty of warning before you low-side from lack of traction. If you have trouble in a turn it'll probably be because you lose confidence and don't ask the bike and tires for all they're capable of.

The one time I've tried Dunlops, the problem I had with them wasn't related to how much grip they had-they had plenty-it was that they stuck really well until they stopped gripping. The transition from sticking to sliding wildly was really sudden and very disconcerting. At the time I'd been riding for about 6 years and was intimately familiar with my bike so it was an oh-crud moment, rather than a crash but I replaced those tires as soon as I had the money together and haven't recommended Dunlops since. Your Mileage May Vary.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Well it looks like I've got a new avenue of tires to look into.

Thanks alot Wild-Bill I think I've got this one almost under my belt

Comment

Working...
                  X