X

Spark plug wires

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spark plug wires

Can I get a picture of the spark plug wiring and which wires go where and where from? pre 98 750.

97 Katana 600

Originally posted by jraggett View Post
    Can I get a picture of the spark plug wiring and which wires go where and where from? pre 98 750.
    I'm almost positive this would be the same on a post. I haven't owned a pre so couldn't tell you 100%, but I can't think of a reason it'd be any different.

You'll have 2 coil packs that the plug wires protrude from, the left one should control cylinders 2 & 3* and the right one will control cylinders 1 & 4*. Stock they come with numbered stickers near the "boot" of the plug wire. If those aren't there you should be able to judge by the length of the wire as to which goes where.

I.E. left coil pack will have a shorter wire (cyl 1) and a longer wire (cyl 4*)
    right coil pack, shorter wire (cyl 3*), longer wire (cyl 2*)

Hope that helps. I'll see about snapping a pic here soon if you'll still require it.
    Last edited by Trip; 05-13-2012, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Wrong. Left coil (when sitting on bike) goes to the outside cylinders 1&4. The right coil goes to the inside cylinder 2&3. Trust me. The po of my bike had it wired 1&3 and 2&4. running on 2 cylinders dos not make for a happy kat. Doesn't really matter which wire goes to which plug as long as the coils are set up to those cylinders. Its a waste spark setup so 1&4 fire at the same time and 2&3 also fire at the same time. It's just common since to put the short wires to the closer plug
      Last edited by phantasm; 05-13-2012, 01:18 PM.
      When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by Trip View Post
        I'm almost positive this would be the same on a post. I haven't owned a pre so couldn't tell you 100%, but I can't think of a reason it'd be any different.

You'll have 2 coil packs that the plug wires protrude from, the left one should control cylinders 1 & 3 and the right one will control cylinders 2 & 4. Stock they come with numbered stickers near the "boot" of the plug wire. If those aren't there you should be able to judge by the length of the wire as to which goes where.

I.E. left coil pack will have a shorter wire (cyl 1) and a longer wire (cyl 3)
        right coil pack, shorter wire (cyl 4), longer wire (cyl 2)

Hope that helps. I'll see about snapping a pic here soon if you'll still require it.
        No they don't. The coil pack on the left goes to 1 & 4, the coil pack on the right goes to 2 & 3. They are the same pre and post. Did I mention I don't like MMI.
        Last edited by arsenic; 05-13-2012, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          Did I mention I don't like MMI.

Only a time or 2. I can't understand why (sarcasm intended)
          When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

lmao just came back to correct that after thinking for a minute.. hadn't had my coffee DOH.. not like you havent ever made a friggen type-o eh?

A basic idea is still > no idea.

I'll do us all a favor and refrain from hopping right on here as i crawl out of bed.
            Last edited by Trip; 05-13-2012, 02:19 PM.

Comment

So it takes you one hour to think about it for a minute? You know these posts are time stamped right? And no, MMI doesn't do that, otherwise the time stamps wouldn't be right.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                So it takes you one hour to think about it for a minute? You know these posts are time stamped right? And no, MMI doesn't do that, otherwise the time stamps wouldn't be right.
                Well I don't sit in front of my PC all day. I replied, then went off to the next thing I felt like doing. Then the thought came back to mind and was like OH sh!t.. hope he doesn't plug those up >_< Don't even know why I'm explaining myself to you. This is probably more PM worthy. But enough with the MMI stuff, really... I could have went on about how I only attended my first 2 courses (theory) and found out my fiance is pregnant, I mentioned I wasn't cert'd and was going to return. That should imply I haven't had access to all the knowledge available to be shared. It'd be different if I went through more than 6 weeks or even the whole course and said some crap like that, then argued that it was correct. Then your criticism would be more understood. And honestly, that was an easy mix up, an easy mistake. But really, I want you to explain yourself on how the only valves you can see through the intake ports are exhaust valves? A senior moment eh? Most seniors I know don't live with daddy. Maybe you've moved on now.. But once upon a time you were a baddie. And curious, do you still spell "those" like "thoughts".....? Works on bikes but can't spell 5 letter words.... I bet if I handed you a piston you'd say its round huh?.... *sigh* Your BS means nothing to me, just like your opinions.

Comment

I don't see the problem. Pistons are round.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                    I don't see the problem. Pistons are round.
                    If I handed you a piston, then its out of the bike and cold. Cold pistons aren't perfectly round. They are designed to be perfectly round at running temperature. This is due to metallurgy expanding and contracting with temp. There is more metal on the sides of the piston, than at the front and back, hence the parts with more metal will expand more, and the lesser, the less. A bunch of math really. This is why the guys that design this stuff get paid bank. So a cold piston is not perfectly round. Edit: Try it.

I knew I should have PM'd that
                    Last edited by Trip; 05-18-2012, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip View Post
                      If I handed you a piston, then its out of the bike and cold. Cold pistons aren't perfectly round. They are designed to be perfectly round at running temperature. This is due to metallurgy expanding and contracting with temp. There is more metal on the sides of the piston, than at the front and back, hence the parts with more metal will expand more, and the lesser, the less. A bunch of math really. This is why the guys that design this stuff get paid bank. So a cold piston is not perfectly round. Edit: Try it.

I knew I should have PM'd that
                      I've been building motors now for about 19 years. Besides, I never said perfectly round. Just round.

Comment

Y'all feel better? lol thanks for the info i'll go check mine out.

sad day. i had it right off the guess. guess i'll figure out something else to try to fix it lol
                        Last edited by jraggett; 05-20-2012, 01:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

97 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                        X