X

Black spark plugs

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black spark plugs

If my spark plugs foul out and stop working because they easily get a black film that also kind of builds up on the inner part of the carbs does that mean I have to much air or to much fuel and how can I better adjust this?
    Last edited by jr_2431; 05-12-2012, 07:56 PM.

using a K&N, pod filters or UNI filter by chance?

Comment

I believe I have K&N filters, they are kind of a purple color and there is one for both sets of carbs Looks like this ..... [ame="http://www.amazon.com/RU-2922-Yamaha-Suzuki-Universal-Rubber/dp/B000E7H4HQ/ref=sr_1_sc_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1336870796&sr=8-5-spell"]Amazon.com: K&N RU-2922 Yamaha/Suzuki Universal Rubber Filter: Automotive[/ame]

Comment

You're horrendously rich, probably from trying to compensate for the K&N filters.

Reinstall stock airbox and filter, 2.5 turns out on A/F mix screws, success.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Black plugs usually means you're running rich. Pod filters make the bike run lean. (and keep the carbs from responding properly to changing rpms and atmospheric pressure. That's why they're not recommended.) Best bet is that the PO swapped jetting around to get the bike to run with those filters and went too far.

Like Scotty said, get rid of the pods and make sure you've got the stock sized jets in there.
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

Reinstall stock airbox and filter
            I don't have stock, that's how I bought the bike....

Comment

ebay.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Order the parts, then open the carbs to see what jetting you're running. That will give you a good baseline and figure out which parts you need to correct the problem.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The bike doesn't make it more then maybe a mile before they foul back out and I have to take sandpaper to clean them and run again. Is there at least a way I can get them to last longer until I buy the stock airbox?

Comment

Remove carbs, see what jets and needles you're running, and go from there.

Comment

All parts of the carb are stock...

Comment

Holy crap, fouling the plugs after only a mile. You need to open the carbs and see what's going on inside. No other way around that

Comment

Originally posted by jr_2431 View Post
                          All parts of the carb are stock...
                          Did the PO tell you that?

Look, not trying to be a dick, but you need to open those carbs up to see whats in them before anyone can offer any advice...you're going to have to remove and disassemble them to fix anything anyway.

If everything in the carbs were completely stock, you would be lean as hell, not rich.

I'm betting that the PO bought the super awesome hi flow filters and then just turned the mix screws out to 4 turns so he could sell the bike for a couple extra bucks because it has a "high performance intake."

Order stock airbox and OEM filter, tear down carbs while you wait for parts to arrive. That is your only option.

Comment

well it was about 8 miles the first time then i cleaned and sanded them down and tried again and it turned out to be a mile. How do I judge or tell what type of jetting is installed?

Comment

Originally posted by jr_2431 View Post
                              How do I judge or tell what type of jetting is installed?

You remove the carbs, disassemble them, then read the numbers that are stamped on the jets. I've said this three times.

(I feel like arsenic, get in here dude)

Comment

Working...
                              X