No announcement yet.
X

93 Katana 600 wont run right

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you are trying to say, but failing miserably at is PETCOCK. Words mean things.

Comment

So, I got a new question.
      When the bike is fully warmed up and I am stopped at a stoplight or idling for longer than 30 seconds, it feels like it is over fueling. The RPMs will slowly drop after 2-3 minutes and it will eventually die if I leave it alone and don't rev it. It makes it very difficult to leave from a stoplight if I forget to clear it before I try and take off.

What could cause a problem like this, Float height? Pilot circuit still messed up?
      Why are are my modes of transportation a "work in progress"?

Comment

Dirty pilot circuit
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Comment

So, a "shop" did a half ass job on a carb clean? I'm shocked.

Comment

When you want suttin done right...do it yourself...and refer to katriders.com

No but seriously a "gut feeling" is there for a reason. I just spent the last 4 1/2 months (back and forth) and $1200+ trying to have a reputable shop who I trust and know personally diagnose an issue with my vw, loss of power. Well long story short I found it and fixed it in about an hour. Clogged catalytic converter which was tested twice (inlet/outlet temps and vacuum test). Point being you should know the symptoms better than anyone and if its within your capabilities you'll take more care an pride than any shop will.

Long story short :P

P.s. I didn't feel I "had the time" to dig in an fix it myself
              Last edited by crazycraven420; 12-09-2012, 03:12 PM.
              94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

I'm back at it again. Took it out to work today to clear out the cobwebs and old gas. Sounds like I am a V twin or a two stroke, cool.

Do I really need to take the carbs off and clean them every year? Maybe I just need a "new" set of carbs and start from scratch. I seem to recall there was a forum member who had stripped down cores or who had rebuilt ones for sale. Hmmm, To the search button!

Comment

That member would be me. The post right above yours, crazycraven420, I built his carbs too.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    That member would be me. The post right above yours, crazycraven420, I built his carbs too.
                    Sure the hell did lol bolted em up an rode the shit out of it I had a big problem when I got em though........they were so damn clean an perty I almost didn't wanna use em : no but seriously you can see pics in my build thread link below

or in the link in my above comment since its not popping up here
                    Last edited by crazycraven420; 05-28-2013, 07:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

When I got my bike home after work yesterday I did the sizzle test on the header pipes. I found the runner on the left hand side (cylinder 1 i think) did not sizzle when I put my damp rag on it. While it was idling it didn't sound like it was missing but with any kind of load or throttle over 1/8 it was not lighting off. Ill check for spark but I probably have a clogged main or something.

Apartment living sucks for when you need to work on a vehicle. Seeing that I have a "U Store it" right up the street I may just rent a unit and do the carbs myself. That way I don't have to fight with property management and their nazi tow company.

Comment

You can't work on stuff at storage lockers either. Well you can as long as you don't get caught.

Comment

You may have already done this but id check the plug wires, I had a similar prob an part of it was crappy connections so I put new 7mm copper core wire an it was a very noticeable difference.

Comment

I got it all taken apart. I have spark on all cylinders.

Few questions

All the AF screws are set differently. #1: 7 turns, #2: 5 turns, #3: 4.5 turns and #4: 3.5 turns. WTF would someone who claims to be a professional set these that way? Is this the super awesome race setting?
                            What should I set these to initially once I have things back together.

How do I know what jet kit I have so I can check my float heights? The main Jet is stamped with 112.5 and my needles have a spring perch, e-clip (only one notch on the needle), plastic spacer thing and a thin washer.

Edit: Looks like 112.5 is factory size. Now I really doubt I have a stage 1 jet kit. How should the needle, washers and spacers be put together so it can go back in properly.

I'm going to get some new parts because I noticed the stopper on #4 was from a different carb and they just trimmed it to fit.
                            Last edited by knightwing83; 06-24-2013, 12:27 PM.

Comment

You do not have a jet kit. The easiest way to tell is if there are numerous spots for the e-clip. 5 is Factory Pro, 6 is Dynojet. 1 slot is a stock needle. I bet it's stamped 5F104 too. FP or DJ needles have no p/n stamped on them. And 112.5 is the stock main jet. Although FP uses Mikuni main jets also and 112.5 is the base size. Again, no slots for the e-clip makes it stock.

Comment

Back at it again. Now that I have had shop #2 try and fix my carbs with no luck ill see what I can do.

All the carbs hold gas and operate properly except #4. I hooked everything up so I can do some diagnosis. What I noticed is when I turn the fuel to prime, #4 will overfill and overflow. I can see fuel seep out of the front jet things and out the top of the needle jet where the needle goes into.

Bad seat/O ring? float height wrong? bad float?
                                Last edited by knightwing83; 06-02-2014, 05:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X