Question about Jets

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Jets

Hey guys,
    I looked through the carbs 101 sticky and I didn't quite find what I was looking for. Here is my question:

I took my carbs apart this weekend becasue my bike seems to be hesitating starting from idle through about 3,000-4,000 rpm's. I took the float bowls off and noticed there are 3 jets in there. I'm not too familiar with this carburator, so I'm trying to figure out what is what. I know the main jet is the big one in the middle (the needle goes into it) and I believe the pilot jet is the small one directly to the left (I think its a 12.5), but what is the jet directly below the main jet? it says its a "05". Is that a mid jet or what is it?

Originally posted by smug88 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I looked through the carbs 101 sticky and I didn't quite find what I was looking for. Here is my question:

I took my carbs apart this weekend becasue my bike seems to be hesitating starting from idle through about 3,000-4,000 rpm's. I took the float bowls off and noticed there are 3 jets in there. I'm not too familiar with this carburator, so I'm trying to figure out what is what. I know the main jet is the big one in the middle (the needle goes into it) and I believe the pilot jet is the small one directly to the left (I think its a 12.5), but what is the jet directly below the main jet? it says its a "05". Is that a mid jet or what is it?
    Is that a Post Kat you have? 1998 and newer? If so, you want carbs 102, as they are waaay different inside. Main jet is center, starter jet below that, pilot jet is the brass tower looking one.

Your RPM range issues mean the pilot circuit is dirty. You have to remove the A/F screws to clean it properly.

Comment

I have a 2004 Kat. Is the pilot jet the skinny one? what is the pilot circuit?

Comment

Originally posted by smug88 View Post
        I have a 2004 Kat. Is the pilot jet the skinny one? what is the pilot circuit?
        Pilot circuit goes through the pilot jet, into some tiny carb pasages, gets metered by the Air Fuel screw, then into the airstream. If it's dirty, the only way to clean it really well is to disassemble the carb and dip it, cleaning out the jet while you wait.

You need Carbs 102, also found in the Wiki.

Comment

Boo, you just described my behaviors as well. I cleaned 'em once and got just the jets themselves and what I could otherwise see (helped a LOT) but still have the <4k wimpiness. Oh well, it's not that hard to pull the carbs off.

By helping a lot, I mean it wouldn't idle before and the jets were gunked bad enough you could see it. The VB10 carb on my Honda (single, hooray for simplicity) doesn't have the same kind of tiny passages so I got away with a slightly less thorough cleaning on it compared to the 'zuki.
          Last edited by Squisher; 04-30-2012, 06:22 PM.
          Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
          H. L. Mencken

Comment

Working...
          X