No announcement yet.
X

Valve adjustment-degree of difficulty?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valve adjustment-degree of difficulty?

I am going to attempt to adjust my valves this weekend and wanted to know how much of a pain it is. I am a decent mechanic but haven't done a valve adjust on one of these before. My Kat is a 2004 750.

If you have mechanical sense and the proper tools it's extremely easy. If your clueless than it's not.

Comment

Any tricks to doing it?

Comment

its a pain in the *** the first time you do anything there are probably lots of stuff to think about. start by reading the manual then read cyberpoets version of it.

take your time, be gentle when doing any of this, dont drop stuff in the engine, dont reuse a torn cover gasket, dont get gravel and stuff in the engine, clean everything and be very caucious of what you do. mind the orings too. it wouldnt hurt to take pictures before you unmount any piece. by the time you want to remount stuff you dont know what screw goes where and what cable were routed where. also if you unmount something easily , it should remount as easily, dont push too much or use a thong to pull anything like the throttle wires

good luck

I would order some parts before doing this btw. Id get at least two tappet nuts and bolts ,one right side gasket and while youre at it get a new spring and gasket for your cam chain tensioner.

some of those tappet adjusters wont stay in the positions you want it to if the thread is overtightened get new ones just in case , it will save you some headache.
        Last edited by mammut89; 04-27-2012, 01:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Thanks for the info. Didnt think about the nuts, bolts and tensioner. Might need to wait till next weekend.

Comment

Take pictures as you go, makes it easier when your hooking the coils back up and you can't remember what goes where.
            Kyle

Comment

Working...
            X