X

88 kat 600 cranks no start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 kat 600 cranks no start

Hi everyone, ima keep it short and sweet.
    Bike won't run hasn't run ever since I got it.

Voltage at battery-13v
    Key on: 12.4
    Key on to coils 11.8v
    (I read 13.5v for Batt voltage is whAt I need but I figured .5 volt won't kill me at the moment)
    Verified I have spark in all plugs.
    Took off oil cover (not pan) cranked motor and verified it's turning I believe I was looking at the clutch?
    Counted the chain marks on the cam sprockets have 21 between them I believe I herd that that's the correct timing as well
    I have tried starting the bike with starter fluid didn't help at all.

Can you guys point me in the right direction on what I should look at next, ima bit lost an puzzled .
    Thanks
    Last edited by McCool3232; 04-27-2012, 06:57 PM.

Cranking voltage at the coils, should be 10.5 volts or more. Pulled the spark plugs, are they wet? Do they smell like gas? If not, need to fix the fuel issue.

Comment

Ahh voltage while cranking at the coils reads 8.8v so weak spark. I take it the only way to get more spark would be more battery voltage? Or I thought I read there's a mod for this?
      Plugs didn't smell nor look wet. Theyre new plugs gapped at 27 I believe
      Last edited by McCool3232; 04-23-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by McCool3232 View Post
        Ahh voltage while cranking at the coils reads 8.8v so weak spark. I take it the only way to get more spark would be more battery voltage? Or I thought I read there's a mod for this?
        Plugs didn't smell nor look wet. Theyre new plugs gapped at 27 I believe
        I think you have two issues if the plugs don't look or smell like gasoline with no/weak spark. They should at least be damp if you are cranking and not starting. Fix the spark issue with the coil mod....quick search will bring it up. Then if you still have starting issues you'll need to thoroughly clean the carbs by dipping them.

Found the post for ya:

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
        mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
        Last edited by 05RedKat600; 04-23-2012, 07:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

A quick way to check if the relay mod works for you... temp run 2 wires from the positive battery post to the coils where the orange wire connects and try to start the bike. If you see an obvious difference between having them and not... then the relay mod could work.

BUT!.... before you do the mod, make sure it's not a simple fix of cleaning the connections and/or fixing what you got.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

cool, thanx for the reply's ima go ahead and test it out later this week and an ill post results.

Comment

Ok I completed the relay mod however im still not hitting 10.5v I'm at 10.14v so it was a good inprovement
              battery key off 12.7
              battery key on at 12.2v
              Coils 12.2
              Coils while starting 10.14v

I noticed with key on i slowly loose voltage and I think it's because of the headlight taking some voltage as well

I sprayed starter fluid in the intake ports and the bike would get some back fire out of the exhaust but still not fully starting. My battery is a 10l a2 this is the correct bettery correct?
              Last edited by McCool3232; 04-27-2012, 06:56 PM.

Comment

Ok I completed the relay mod however im still not hitting 10.5v I'm at 10.14v so it was a good inprovement
                battery key off 12.7
                battery key on at 12.2v
                Coils 12.2
                Coils while starting 10.14v

I noticed with key on i slowly loose voltage and I think it's because of the headlight taking some voltage as well

I sprayed starter fluid in the intake ports and the bike would get some back fire out of the exhaust but still not fully starting. My battery is a 10l a2 this is the correct bettery correct?
                Correct or not, I'd highly recomend replacing it. Even with the realy mod it's not pushing enough V to start the bike well.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

What type of stronger battery can I get to replace the 10l a2?
                  Last edited by McCool3232; 04-28-2012, 10:35 AM.

Comment

What type of stronger battery can I go to, too replace the 10l a2?
                    Any new battery. It's not a matter of stronger, it's a matter of your old battery is shot and needs replaced. Just get a new AGM replacement.

Comment

What's a good Reading for a load test on these battery's?
                      It's a brand new battery it's worth a shot to re replace but isn't there a bigger battery to pump out more amperage I could use?
                      Last edited by McCool3232; 04-28-2012, 10:41 AM.

Comment

What's a good Reading for a load test on these battery's?
                        It's a brand new battery it's worth a shot to re replace but isn't there a bigger battery to pump out more amperage I could use?
                        Define "brand new". As in just off the shelf and installed? Or as in, the guy I bought it from put it in last season brand new?

Comment

Just off the shelf I filled it up and everything battery holds a good charge as well

Comment

Just off the shelf I filled it up and everything battery holds a good charge as well

What's the cranking voltage at the battery? I know the coils are 10.14 volts, but check the voltage at the battery while cranking. If it's 12VDC or more, battery is fine and you have bad wires. If it's 11 VDC or less, you need to replace the battery.

Comment

Yea it drops to 10 sometimes down to 9.4 an back up to 10. I don't understand why a new battery would act up though. Battery returns its self back to 12.7v when I shut the bike off

Comment

Working...
                              X