Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

I have a vacuum line between carbs 1 and 2?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have a vacuum line between carbs 1 and 2?

Hey everyone. 2001 750.

I haven't ridden this bike since last year. It was running a bit rough last season and I probably should have gutted and cleaned the carbs then. Anyway, I pulled my carbs last night and I noticed that there is a vacuum line between carbs 1 and 2. Every picture and piece of literature I could find tells me that 1, 2, and 3 should be capped off, and 4 has a line to the fuel petcock.

Is this normal on some kats, or did the PO put this line on there? The line is now cracked which definitely couldn't have helped my issues. I am just trying to determine if I should replace that vacuum line, or get caps for those two carbs. Thanks guys.

Added: Since I will be using this thread to ask about any issues I have while cleaning my carbs, I figured I should add this and see what you think. There's about 2-3 tablespoons of fuel in my #1 intake, sitting on top of the valve. I'm going to suck it out but is there anything else I should look for knowing that?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Flounder; 04-17-2012, 11:37 AM. Reason: Addition to post
    sigpic
    "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."
    "Katrina" 2001 750 Black/Anthracite

No telling WTF the PO was thinking, but no... that isn't normal. Take the line off and just cap them.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

hahah thats freaking ingenious....lol..
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

This is about to become an ethanol hate thread...

More to come, I'm uploading through a tethered phone connection... and it's prepaid... and I live in the middle of nowhere... and have bad signal.
        Attached Files
        sigpic
        "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."

Comment

Jelly Time!....

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That's about the oddest thing I've ever seen
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I've owned many cars from a 1977 Datsun 280z to a brand new Saab 9-5 SE Arc, and yet my bike is the only carbureted vehicle I've ever owned. I know what carbs DO but don't know exactly HOW they do it.

What exactly would linking those two together do?
              Attached Files
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Flounder View Post
                I've owned many cars from a 1977 Datsun 280z to a brand new Saab 9-5 SE Arc, and yet my bike is the only carbureted vehicle I've ever owned. I know what carbs DO but don't know exactly HOW they do it.

PO lost the caps and thought that would be a good way to block them off. Potentially it's a vacuum leak, which would make your bike run pike poo.

NO, this is not a way to avoid a vacuum sync either lol.

Comment

If you want a "logical" answer, I'm not sure you will find one. I guess if they lost a cap and needed something immediate to "seal" off the vacuum port then that is a better option than nothing. It doesn't seal things off though... still means you have a leak and now adds in another carb. Especially with the tubing they used that hardens up and doesn't seal at all.

Those ports are used to sync the carbs.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Comment

While I was at work I picked up a vacuum gauge (single) thinking I could sync the carbs with it. In my head I could hook it back and forth between two hoses, one on each of the carbs I was syncing. Now I realize that isn't such a good idea...

What's the cheapest set of vacuum gauges you would recommend, and where can I get them? With new tires and battery coming out of next check I don't have a ton of cash. At least I can still return the unopened single gauge.
                    sigpic

Comment

Cheap vac gauges are worthless IMO (dial gauges specifically). Either build a home made set, or get a morgan carb tune.
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Get the Morgan CarbTune...

Its worth it. So easy to use- works great- Involves no fluids at all

Comment

Called my local shop to check rates for syncing the carbs; I thought it might be just slightly more expensive than a set of good gauges.

I was quoted $375-$450. Eep. I think I'll just hold off syncing for two weeks until I can afford the gauges.

Carbs are all cleaned up now and about to go on the bike, but as I connected the throttle cables I noticed a problem. If I attach the front throttle cable at a tension where it's doing ANYTHING, it stops the throttle from returning to closed. I have to actually take it OFF for the throttle to not stay at whatever position I opened it to.

Do I just need to take off the cable, lube it, and reinstall? It doesnt seem to have a lot of resistance and as far as I can tell it's routed in the original position.
                          sigpic

Comment

Called my local shop to check rates for syncing the carbs; I thought it might be just slightly more expensive than a set of good gauges.

I was quoted $375-$450. Eep. I think I'll just hold off syncing for two weeks until I can afford the gauges.

Carbs are all cleaned up now and about to go on the bike, but as I connected the throttle cables I noticed a problem. If I attach the front throttle cable at a tension where it's doing ANYTHING, it stops the throttle from returning to closed. I have to actually take it OFF for the throttle to not stay at whatever position I opened it to.

Do I just need to take off the cable, lube it, and reinstall? It doesnt seem to have a lot of resistance and as far as I can tell it's routed in the original position.
                            I hope you plan on not riding for those two weeks you wait....

There are two nuts on the cable where they attach to the carbs. Use those to adjust the free play at the carbs.

Comment

$375-450!!!!!!!

What the hell is that guy smoking!!!!!????

That is crazy. Most I was ever quoted for a sync was $90.

Comment

Working...
                              X