X

2nd gear problems- still no clue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gear problems- still no clue

Basic problem is when trying to shift into 2nd gear it would grind into 3rd on its own. We thought that 2nd gear was burned up and needed to be replaced

Got the motor taken apart and cant find anything wrong with the gears. They look like they're in good shape. Everything rotates and the only things missing are the shift pawl return springs.

There's a little wear & tear on the sides of the shift forks but they dont seem to be bent as far as we can tell. So we're not really sure where to go from here

Here is the album for all the bike pics. The open motor pics are at the bottom

Thanks for any help you can give. If you need a different angle or something specific, just ask and I'll go take it

"Sex with out love is really just exercise.So grab a friend and let's all workout!!"

Freebird01 " ok so kid cuts school and jumps in the Schuylkill river and dies....darwin at work?"
    >JayBell " Express lane Darwin, no lines, no waiting, instant gene pool deletion

So for a start start we got new trans coming also ordered all new oil seals and couple ods and end hope that will fix it all

"Sex with out love is really just exercise.So grab a friend and let's all workout!!"

Freebird01 " ok so kid cuts school and jumps in the Schuylkill river and dies....darwin at work?"
    >JayBell " Express lane Darwin, no lines, no waiting, instant gene pool deletion

Comment

Oh, looky thar! You DO have to split the cases to get to the forks and the gears. That reminds me,......I need to go bump a thread!

Comment

Figure we will update this a little. After talking to people in the chat we went down the road with getting a complete new tranny. Thanks to several great people in Chat and one Super person we ended up with a tranny at a great price. Once we got the new tranny we re-assembled the lower part of the engine.

Empty Lower

Shift Drum

Shifting Forks

[IMGhttp://farm9.staticflickr.com/8165/7123023937_4700b626e3.jpg[/IMG]

Gears

Gear Zip tied to the lower for install to engine

Some tips while connecting the lower back to engine use the lower Torque specs

Add extra gasket sealer to timing cover

When installing clutch gears use a zip tie to keep the gears together while getting them in place.

Total time was 1 day to pull engine, one full day taking engine apart, however long it took to get the parts, and it took 1 day engine assembly, 1 day for bike assembly.

Coat so far is $42 for 4 gaskets (oil pan, timing cover, clutch cover, and starter gear cover) $28 for misc parts(shifter oil seal, Sprocket oil seal, couple springs, few screws & bolts that were damaged, and one Sprocket cover bolt that was missing) 1 gal of 10w-40 oil check $13.41, new oil filter $5, $40 for a good used tranny.

Fully assembled engine

So yesterday we got it running, it started right up, ran rough at the beginning then smoothed out. Found a few oil leaks, fixed the timing cover leak but had no luck fixing the oil pan leak due to a crack in the pan. Dry run of the gears went good but can't test them out with a little drive until we get the oil leaks fixed

So today I will pull the exhaust and oil pan and see what I can do to fix the leak/crack.
        Last edited by Talltec; 05-05-2012, 08:26 AM.

Comment

hope you get it on the road soon!
          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Lookin good dude
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
            X