X

Clutch slipping..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch slipping..

hey guys so i've recently discovered about my 02 750 that its clutch likes to slip under heavy acceleration. the bike only has 6500 miles on it so im pretty sure the clutch plates aren't worn but its possible depending on how the previous owners rode the bike. i tried adjusting the clutch lever using the adjustment on the engine and it seems to help for a bit but sure enough the clutch began to slip again. any thoughts would be great.
    #whindybackroads>highway

Have you checked the adjustment screw at the sprocket cover?
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

::Ahem:: What type oil do you have in it? What Wild Bill said. Clutch plates or springs (or both) might need to be replaced.

I literally posted this same thing like 30 seconds ago, in another thread. If you find you need to replace the clutch plates/springs (**after you do a rough cable adjustment**) I recommend Barnett.

Wait a minute...you live close to Steves. Maybe he can give you a hand with the cable adjustment or whatever you need to do.
      ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
      チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
      Semper Fi

Comment

Make sure you use motorcycle specific oil in your bike. My thread is the one that says CLUTCH SLIPPING AT 8000 RMP, literally 4 threads down, and my bike is at 23,000 miles. I used regular 10w-40 and I believe the owner before me did as well as the clutch has been slipping. Changed the oil and no more problems.

Comment

yea the oil very well could be the problem. i've already adjusted the clutch using the sprocket adjustment but its was mostly a temporary fix. as far as what oil is in it now, i'd have no idea. only had the bike for a couple months so far. guess i'll be changing the oil first thing monday and see what happens.
          #whindybackroads>highway

Comment

also, one time I had done the clutch adjustment, but the clutch kept getting looser and looser. I did it again and it was fine. then it got loose again... issue? I did not tighten all the bolts in the sprocket cover again (this was also after a new clutch cable install). worth going around and ensuring all of those bolts are tight!

otherwise, from reading threads, +1 on ensuring motorcycle oil

Comment

Just changed the oil today with the correct oil. Ill give it a few days to a week and post if it fixed the problem or not
              #whindybackroads>highway

Comment

If you're a cheap ******* like me, you can probably get away with just installing some oversized springs.

My clutch was going and I didn't want to shell out cash for a new one, so I found an old similar engine at a junkyard, mixed and matched the friction plates, and used the oversized springs. That was about 5k miles ago, still going strong.

Comment

What are the odds that I would post that in this thread and have my clutch slip two hours later?
                  Hopefully an adjustment will take care of it.

Comment

murphys law or something... hope it works out for you

Comment

Originally posted by latenight View Post
                      murphys law or something...
                      We call it "Sod's Law" in the uk....
                      I'm outa here

Comment

ok its been about a week now and the clutch still slips as usual. think its safe to say that it probably needs new clutch plates which is still pretty strange sense i bought the bike with 6000 miles on the clock. previous owners must of really worn the **** outta of it..
                        #whindybackroads>highway

Comment

Originally posted by TS7X View Post
                          ok its been about a week now and the clutch still slips as usual. think its safe to say that it probably needs new clutch plates which is still pretty strange sense i bought the bike with 6000 miles on the clock. previous owners must of really worn the **** outta of it..
                          No, you most likely need new friction plates from some retard thinking that car oil is the same as moto oil with a wet clutch.

Replace it all and be done with it.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                            ...Replace it all and be done with it.
                            +1 on that! I had to replace my friction disks last fall. Got them in and then had to order up new bolts when one of the originals snapped on me. Then, last week I got the bike out for a good ride for the first time since then (more than the couple of miles to work and back) and as soon as the oil was good and truly warmed up the clutch started slipping again under hard acceleration. Now I'm having to go back in one more time to replace the springs. I checked the length of the originals and they were in spec but I forgot that 22 year-old springs just aren't as strong as they used to be, no matter how much they've compressed. Don't be a bonehead like me. Replace everything all at once and be done with it.
                            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

once you have allowed the clutch to slip this much its going to be fried. replace the clutch friction plates and get a set of EBC springs.
                              before you put the clutch cover back on adjust the push rod and cable free play. This way you can actually see and feel if it is adjusted properly and not dragging on the clutch causing it to slip.
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                              X