X

oil in fuel???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil in fuel???

My oil smells like there could be gas in it ... got about 80 miles to a full tank of gas . Also my oil sight gauge says the oil is over full but when I start it there is no oil in the sight. ..any info would be great .my first bike and can't seem to ride lol every Time I fix 1 thing another seems to pop up

Do a compression and leak down test. As for the oil, when you start the bike the oil will always show empty till you shut it off and let it settle back down in the pan.

Comment

Dumb question how do u do a leak down test.Compression is about 115-125 per cylinder

Comment

I had the same problem with my bike last year and the expert advice from other Katrider folks on here was that it was a carb issue, more specifically a float stuck open, fuel filling the bowl and then not being shut off then entering the engine and then overflowing into the oil,and they were absolutely right.

Comment

I will look into that . My next choice is pull the motor and rebuild lol

Comment

Er, you don't need to rebuild the motor for a stuck float
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Would a good Carb cleaning fix this problems

Comment

Yes, a good carb cleaning is a good start. But it's likely you also have trash in the fuel tank that needs addressed. What's happening is that bits of rust or dirt from the tank are getting stuck in the passages causing the needle to not make a good seal.

You probably also have a damaged petcock that is allowing fuel to flow all the time, or you have it on prime and not on.
                -Steve

sigpic
                Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Possible that cleaning the carbs would fix it but what you've got going on is two problems. First, your float valves are leaking. Cleaning may fix that but you may need to replace the needles. K&L part #18-8944. Secondly, your fuel petcock is leaking. Rebuild it.

Edit: ...and Steves beat me to it. Doesn't have to be trash from the tank blocking the needles open, though. The needles have a rubber tip on them which will eventually wear/age to the point where they don't seal. Take the carbs off the bike, clean the float valves and test. If they still don't seal then replace the needles.
                  Last edited by Wild-Bill; 04-13-2012, 04:13 PM.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

What they said. Stuck float and petcock isn't working correctly
                    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

I will replace the needles thanks everyone for the advice turns out the oil leak is probably valves or rings by the location of it ..I'll post pics of the new found project

Comment

Check the tank also. I struggled with the same thing, I had fuel in the oil from a sticking float needle. Cleaned the carbs multiple times before I finally thought to look in the tank. The rust looked minimal but when I drained the tank it was easy to see all the rust that was loose and getting into the carbs. I coated the tank with POR-15 and no it is perfect.
                        89 Katana 750
                        06 Honda CRF250R

Comment

well i got my carbs back.. had clogged jets and i carb wasnt working due to being put together wrong.i ripped the motor to chase my oil leak and now im looking for a camshaft cap i broke the snout off 1.. anybody who knows were to get one or has i plz let me know

Comment

Working...
                          X