X

oil cooler and idle screw question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil cooler and idle screw question

I have a small oil leak and it seems to be the copper gasket on the oil cooler (Its the gasket on the very bottom and brake side) Iv been told that this is a common leak spot of bikes. But my question is does the oil cooler only cool motor oil or is it trans oil too?

Also I am baffled by this, no matter which way or how many turns on the idle screw I cant get it to change the idle. Any ideas?

Originally posted by blackhawk9 View Post
    I have a small oil leak and it seems to be the copper gasket on the oil cooler (Its the gasket on the very bottom and brake side) Iv been told that this is a common leak spot of bikes. But my question is does the oil cooler only cool motor oil or is it trans oil too?

Also I am baffled by this, no matter which way or how many turns on the idle screw I cant get it to change the idle. Any ideas?

It's a crush washer, and easily replaced. It's oil only as the transmission in your bike sits in the oil, not it's own fluid. Any auto parts store will have replacement crush washers for sale.

As for the idle... to be sure you would need to do some investigation, but in general... it's probably a clarb cleaning/adjust issue...

krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      It's a crush washer, and easily replaced. It's oil only as the transmission in your bike sits in the oil, not it's own fluid. Any auto parts store will have replacement crush washers for sale.

As for the idle... to be sure you would need to do some investigation, but in general... it's probably a clarb cleaning/adjust issue...

krey
      Thanks, Yeah the idle screw doesnt make sense. A couple of months ago I rebuilt the carbs (new orings and cleaned them) Put it all back and synced it up, idle screw worked perfectly. A couple of weeks ago an oring went in one of the carbs. So I replaced it and adjusted the A/F screws. When I went to sync the carbs the idle screw wouldn't adjust at all, no matter which way or how much I turned it. any ideas?

Comment

Any ideas on the idle screw issue

Comment

Probably a dirty pilot circuit again. Those holes are tiny and can get gummed up VERY quick

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post
            Probably a dirty pilot circuit again. Those holes are tiny and can get gummed up VERY quick
            Explain this pilot circuit

Are you guys talking about the a/f screw adjustment ?
            Last edited by blackhawk9; 04-09-2012, 08:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
            X