X

clutch cable + chain -> boom

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clutch cable + chain -> boom

what can cause the clutch cable and the chain to explose?

facts.

its was cold-> -4 celcius
    bad gear change..

i dont know that happen

Cable snaps causing the clutch to dump all at once on a COLD chain. That causes chain to break. just a guess
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

i just got a phone call from the garage.

sounds like 1 of the card was leaking a bit causing the engine block to lock.

i asked him about getting another engine and told me it was not a good idea considering the price/year of the model.

what do you guys suggest?

new engine?
      new moto?
      or watever else

Comment

Originally posted by wil32 View Post
        i just got a phone call from the garage.

sounds like 1 of the card was leaking a bit causing the engine block to lock.

i asked him about getting another engine and told me it was not a good idea considering the price/year of the model.

what do you guys suggest?

new engine?
        new moto?
        or watever else
        I'm truly lost.

Comment

Originally posted by muffinman View Post
          I'm truly lost.
          I think the translation is:

one of the carburetors leaked fuel into one of the cylinders to cause the engine to hydrolock. That resulted in the engine to suddenly and violently freeze all motion which caused the drive chain to break.

If my translation is correct, and if the repair shop used the words "leaking a bit" to described the fuel leak, I find that difficult to understand. The carburetor would have to leak a lot of gas to cause the piston/engine to lock up.

However, since they did the diagnosis, they must have the evidence to make that conclusion.

Since the motorcyle shop sees this vehicle as a lost cause, and if your mechanically inclinded, I would say check the compression to see if any internal damage has been done to anyone of the cylinders. If so, then depending how much you like your vehicle, replace the engine with a used engine, replace the drive chain, clutch cable and continue riding.

You could continue the internal diagnosis by doing a leak-down test to determine if the damage is in the bottom half (engine block) or the top half (cylinder head). If the damage is in the cylinder head, that can be replace by itself. If the damaged is in the lower half, you might as well replace the whole engine.
          Last edited by squiggy; 04-11-2012, 12:28 PM.
          How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
          How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
          How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
          How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

if it was running when this all happened I call BS on the shops diagnosis
            it cant dump enough fuel in while running ,from a stuck carb float
            If the engine hydro locked while riding it would lock up the rear wheel
            A neglected drive chain can break and trash the clutch rod causing you no clutch

where are you in Canada?
            Last edited by rexazz2; 04-11-2012, 03:36 PM.
            Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
              A neglected drive chain can break ad trash the clutch rod causing you no clutch
              +1

Comment

the chain i had was a cheap/bad one(4000 pounds) this is actually what saved me. the reason why the wheel didn't lock is because the chain broke.

when i said leaking a bit, i meant during he checked it. while running it must have been a lot.

again I really don't know much about motorcycle and I can say stuff which doesn't make sense without even noticing...

In a glare of hope, I found an engine for 800$(includes the mounting process or w/e). its a 96 or 97(the guy couldn't check over the phone) and it has 36000km. The only things beside that i need to change are the chain and the front sprocket which i can get for 90$.

the way i see it, i don't have enough money for another motorcycle and this gives me the opportunity to have one with the money i have.

Let me know what you think?

P.S. Sorry for my English, I know my grammar is terrible and I don't mind people translating/making my point clear

Comment

where are you ?

if that motor still runs I dont think it needs to be replaced based on what you have told us

here is a post that describes what you have told us and it didnt warrant a new engine
                  Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                  From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                  this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Last edited by rexazz2; 04-11-2012, 05:49 PM.
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Saint-Georges

The engine is dead.

Comment

Originally posted by wil32 View Post
                      P.S. Sorry for my English, I know my grammar is terrible and I don't mind people translating/making my point clear
                      It was not so much your English as it was your spelling (i.e. card instead of carb) that can cause misunderstanding.

I hope all goes well for you.
                      How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                      How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                      How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                      How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
                      X