X

No High-Beams - problem solving

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No High-Beams - problem solving

Hey everyone - I have a question regarding the headlights on my '99 Kat.

The high-beams cut off about a month ago. The low beams still work (thankfully), but don't provide enough light for dark-night riding.

So here's what i've done. I pulled out the lights and checked them to see if the filaments had broken. They seemed fine, but I switched them out for identical new headlights. (The '99 Kat uses both lights for low and high.) Still no high-beam - although the new lights are a little brighter than the old ones.

I checked the fuse for the High-beams. I was certain this was going to be the problem - and swapped out out for another 15a fuse. No luck - still doesn't work.

I ordered an inexpensive multimeter, and plan to disassemble the left-handlebar light switch, to take a look at the connections. I'll have to figure out how to use the multimeter, but I figure it will help tell me *something*.
    Maybe the connections are dirty, or a wire came off...

Is there anything else that I should be thinking about? Anything I may have overlooked?

Clean the switch.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'd check for voltage at the headlight connectors and go from there. If there's no voltage on the high-beam wire then it's not the lights. Check the wires coming out of the switch next. At the switch you're going to want to stick a pin through the wire insulation where the wires come out of the switch body.

Chances are, Steve's right; it's dirty switch contacts.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Hey dunno if you fixed it yet but this happened to me.. It was a melted connector look behind the fronf plate with the little light and there is a connector check that..

Comment

Working...
        X