Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Changing a chain and sprocket on a gsx750 F (98 plate)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing a chain and sprocket on a gsx750 F (98 plate)

Hi All,

Hi all,

I'm going to attempt to change the chain and sprockets on my GSX750f (98 plate) this weekend. I've bought the chain and sprocket set (rivet link type, not clip), but wondered if anyone had any tips/help at all... does anyone know of a gsk750 specific step by step guide.

I don't have a chain breaker tool or riveter... and frankly can't afford to buy them.. I was going to hacksaw the old chain off and discard, then change the sprockets, and wondered about the new chain... is it possible to shorten to the right length and fit without these tools? if not, could i put the new chain in place, mark where the right length, and take it to my local bike garage and ask them to shorten, and then join it using the rivet link, then bring it home and put the chain on the bike "whole" so to speak...?

What tools will I need (i will borrow off a freind before hand).

I was told I could join the chain by putting the joining link in place and tapping with 2 hammers...

Basically I'm a bt of a novice, so far I've changed the air filter, oil filter and fitted heated grips on my own, but any advice/tips/anything at all would be greatly appeciated!

Cheers,

Lee

Changing chain and sprocket on a GSX750f

Hi all,

I'm going to attempt to change the chain and sprockets on my GSX750f (98 plate) this weekend. I've bought the chain and sprocket set (rivet link type, not clip), but wondered if anyone had any tips/help at all... does anyone know of a gsk750 specific step by step guide.

I don't have a chain breaker tool or riveter... and frankly can't afford to buy them.. I was going to hacksaw the old chain off and discard, then change the sprockets, and wondered about the new chain... is it possible to shorten to the right length and fit without these tools? if not, could i put the new chain in place, mark where the right length, and take it to my local bike garage and ask them to shorten, and then join it using the rivet link, then bring it home and put the chain on the bike "whole" so to speak...?

What tools will I need (i will borrow off a freind before hand).

I was told I could join the chain by putting the joining link in place and tapping with 2 hammers...

Basically I'm a bt of a novice, so far I've changed the air filter, oil filter and fitted heated grips on my own, but any advice/tips/anything at all would be greatly appeciated!

Cheers,

Lee

Comment

You'll need at least a grinder to cut the chain down to the correct length.

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
      mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

A Dremel tool with a cutoff wheel works well enough for cutting the chain to length and the grinding wheel that came with the Dremel worked well for grinding the heads off the rivets. I bought a chain rivet tool from Harbor Freight for about $15 and it worked very well once I coated the threads well with some axle grease. I wouldn't want to put it to regular use but it was fine for the one chain I'm planning to install this year.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

There's a post on here somewhere that I found last year when I searched for info. It is laid out step-by-step with pictures, and it helped out a lot! I don't think I could've done the job without it.

Also, the proper chain tool really helped with taking off the old chain, removing the extra links from the new one, then the riveting of the new chain.

2006 Katana 750
          2001 Katana 750 (Deerhunter)
          2003 Mercury Marauder

Comment

It might be that post I linked two posts back
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You probably don't want to be trying to put the chain on "whole".

Comment

Originally posted by ljscott_uk View Post
                I was going to hacksaw the old chain off and discard, then change the sprockets
                Do not cut the chain until after you have taken off the nut on the front sprocket. You need the chain to hold the sprocket in place so you can break the lock-tite on the nut.

Hit your local bike forum and post up asking to borrow a chain rivet tool, you might find a rider local to you that has one. If not I've been told that you can do it with vice grips and a "BB" to mushroom the rivits head.
                Kyle

Comment

Thanks, Steves.....you hid the link right in front of my face so I couldn't find it....but that is the post I was referring to.

2006 Katana 750
                  2001 Katana 750 (Deerhunter)
                  2003 Mercury Marauder

Comment

Working...
                  X