No announcement yet.
X

spring tune up.. I'm a NEWB! w/pics!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The closets thing i can find without going to Ebay is for a '99 TL1000... will it fit?! doubtful. That's in a different province.

even ebay only has 2! damn. is straightening a good option?
    Last edited by badwithcomputer; 05-08-2012, 08:10 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Brandon

Comment

• Got this message from my Kijiji ad..

Hi, i have the front wheel for your Katana, can you took the casting code on your wheel to be sure is same. Casting Code is 3 digit like AJY or AOB. Thanks
      This guy sounds pretty legit, still can't find someone to straighten a motorcycle rim. A quick snoop on facebook say's he's actually in quebec, not sure I want to be shipping a blind wheel. I'll follow through though and see if i can get some pics.
      -Brandon

Comment

• no luck with the wheel.

This is driving me absolutely insane, i've exhausted all resources.

The kijiji guy literally stopped contact when I told him I was in Nova Scotia, don't know what he thought when he responded to an ad that was 1500kms away?!

I've tried getting the wheel repaired, no luck

I've tried two companies that make trips down to the states specifically for this reason and they said the chances are slim and you'll be waiting awhile.

I've spent way more on this bike than I should have and the end isn't in sight. I know I'll be needing two new tires and a new chain and sprocket set soon.

So much for a bike being an inexpensive alternative to the Jeep!
        -Brandon

Comment

• Not options?

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Thanks for those Krey,

While they are options, they are ones I would like to avoid. I have no problems ordering from the states if I can ship it via USPS. If it gets shipped via fedex or UPS I get dinged hard with border fees. so that $160 wheel will likely turn into a $260 wheel and that is without shipping charges. Last year, I would have said "screw it, I need it" but The Big "C" decided it was going to raise it's ugly head in October and assume it's position with my Girlfriend for a bit. So without getting into too much detail... yeah.. The health care system up here is great but the disability ain't.

EDIT

I just took the time to actually read the ebay postings and both will ship via USPS. This could work!
            Last edited by badwithcomputer; 05-15-2012, 09:04 AM.
            -Brandon

Comment

• Too bad, I only have a rear wheel for your bike, the front one is mangled. lol

Comment

• don't get rid of the rear one! who knows when you or someone may need it! If you come across a parts bike let me know! still looking for a front rim.
                -Brandon

Comment

• Ill check with a guy who stopped in last week wanting the motor out of my 03. Said he had all kinds of Kat parts.

Comment

• hey,

i may want that motor, is it any good? mine has low compression on 2 cyl's and the carbs are bananas. also wouldn't mind talking to this guy as well!
                    -Brandon

Comment

• I should update from my last post, there was nothing wrong with the bike except the fact that the carbs were so messed with they just had to be reset to factory (jets, floats etc) so all is well!!

anywho I am into my preseason maintenance now, I have purchased the HD gas tank repair kit from POR-15 as the inside of my tank was rusty, then someone coated it with something, which made it even worse. So I need to strip it first blah blah blah. Anyone have any tips for this process for a successful coating? I am mostly concerned with the pooling at the low spot by the fuel cock.
                      -Brandon

Comment

• Instructions should pretty much cover it for the POR-15 kit. Try to get out as much excess as you can, then keep rotating the tank as stated.

Comment

• Started the por 15 process. Started with the tank stripper. All went well, not much junk seemed to come out. I imagine the shitty old coating has already gone into my carbs.. yaaay. Started the marine clean, poured it in and it fucking poured right out the bottom even after i put new tape on it. I managed to salvage some of it and swished it around and a good amount of rust came out. I am onto the prep and ready and plan to spend a little more time on this step to make up for the shirty luck with the marine clean.
                          -Brandon

Comment

• Im quite happy with how the inside of the tank turned out, it looks almost brand new even with only getting to be able to use the marine clean for a 1/3 of the amount of time the instructions recommend. I think the inside should be dry by now as I had a hair dryer blowing steady for 30 mins but I will let it cool back down to room temp and let it sit for another couple hours and do the final step after supper.
                            -Brandon

Comment

• The tank is sitting in the basement drying. I am happy that it's over. It's not a hard process, but it's just messy. Don't use duct tape!! I used the red tape that's used to stick two unlike surfaces together, it's called tech tape but probably goes by other names as well, it's red and thin. I am going to let it dry for about a week just to make sure as i don't know if i really got all the excess out, a lot came out though. Almost seemed like a waste

I took the bowls off the carbs as i thought one of my float was stuck, while blowing in the fuel line i was able to flip the carbs upside down and right side up and they sealed off without sticking, so things can't be too nasty in there the jets look good as well. I'll clean them up anyway just to be sure.

my petcock rebuild came yesterday as well (for up to a '98) my bike is an '01 so it looks like i just throw away the really large O-ring. I also figured out why my RES and ON were backwards. The screen filter on the petcock has a long tube and a short tube, mine were reversed. Bonus!
                              Last edited by badwithcomputer; 03-19-2013, 09:07 AM.
                              -Brandon

Comment

• Noticed something today when pushing the bike from the shed to the garage. With the trans in neutral, the bike is easy to push. With the trans in 1st and the clutch pulled in it adds about twice as much effort needed to be pushed. I don't remember it being like that, what's the deal?

Thanks!
                                -Brandon

Comment

Working...
                                X