X

First ever bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First ever bike

I just joined this site AND I just bought a 1992 Katana 600cc. I have some of the fairings, the carbs MAY need to be cleaned i am not sure yet. I bought the bike a couple days ago and i knew it ran last year but it cannot run now. it turns over and starts to pop. I just got a new battery and put in a new starter solenoid. I am not good with bikes so i will probably ask alot of questions. Any ideas what i will have to do to make my bike run and look good? The picture of my bikee is when it had all the fairings i do not have the front fairing? and the guy i bought it from spray painted them black. The other pic is my gas tank and i had one big hose and one little hose that was connected to the tank but not on my bike and i was so confused on what to do haha
    Attached Files
    Last edited by bfredrichs; 03-14-2012, 01:11 AM.

take the carbs apart, look up the carbs 101. Check for spark, change the oil, see whats missing. How much did you pay for the bike? Has it been re-jetted for the V&H system?

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
    From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
    this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

Last edited by gsx; 03-14-2012, 01:19 AM.

Comment

i bought it for 500 dollars

Comment

looks like its basically all there(faring wise) are you talking about the little piece under the headlight?

there should be a vent hose coming off the sending unit(that silver round thing with a barb on it) and another vent hose coming off that little barb on the tank. They lead to nowhere unless you have a california model, in that case i have no clue how those work lol. The third little connection on the petcock is for your vacuum off the right outer carb. There is a barb on the carb were that line ends up.

Comment

well i do not havde the big fairing on the side you can see my engine and my aftermarket airfilters and what not. are those expensive to buy?

Comment

Originally posted by bfredrichs View Post
            well i do not have the big fairing on the side you can see my engine and my aftermarket airfilters and what not. are those expensive to buy?
            dont take my word as gold but i dont think you should go aftermarket. You still have the stock airbox right? the aftermarket filter(s) are not a pod(1 filter per carb) but a K&N or something of that sort(just one) Get an oem filter, they are about $25 a pop last time i checked. Reason for that they make the bike run like crap. you can get a used faring from $50 to $200. Check with other users on here, i think someone should have one form their streetfighter project or some spares laying around.

Comment

Everything you could ever want to know and then maybe more besides available here in our own Wiki:

Also, ditch those aftermarket filters and go back to stock. This may require you to pull the carbs though and see what jets are in them.

Comment

Working...
              X