X

Is it a bad gear or something else

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a bad gear or something else

Evening all so i took the bike for its first drive out of the neigherborhood. i not sure what going on first gear is running good, shifts fine in second but it seems like it take a little of time before it fully in gear and makes a grinding sound. third is fine so on. just second never noticed it since the chain chatter before but i tighten chain and now i notice the second gear having issues its fine once it engaged but it seems going from 1 to 2 or 3 to 2 there a delay some know and almost a slam into gear once it goes its fine at low end or on the high its just the transition to that gear.

"Sex with out love is really just exercise.So grab a friend and let's all workout!!"

Freebird01 " ok so kid cuts school and jumps in the Schuylkill river and dies....darwin at work?"
    >JayBell " Express lane Darwin, no lines, no waiting, instant gene pool deletion

2nd trans issue this afternoon, change oil adjust clutch cable if it doesn't solve the issue, its time or a trans tear down or find a new motor.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

is that bad to replace the 2 gear

"Sex with out love is really just exercise.So grab a friend and let's all workout!!"

Freebird01 " ok so kid cuts school and jumps in the Schuylkill river and dies....darwin at work?"
      >JayBell " Express lane Darwin, no lines, no waiting, instant gene pool deletion

Comment

You have to split the crank case, it's a lot of work.

Comment

Here the next question one bad gear can it lead to more bad gear or just stay with the damaged gear?

Comment

It's not a bad gear. It's a bent shift fork that started the whole issue. The bent shift fork will lead to a broken second gear. I've never known anyone that let it go past that. I'm not sure if it will lead to more damage.

Comment

Eventually the fork will probably just bend enough that it either breaks or won't shift anymore.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If your doing it yourself and know how to work on motors... it's not so much that it's alot of work (probably get it done in a day, maybe 2 tops)... it's that generally your looking at possible lots of replacement gaskets, and such for the process. Last time I looked, the gasket kit was like $3-400. When your looking at that $ and extra work to fix a motor... then compare to a replacement motor being the same cost or cheaper, most people realize it would save themselves alot of work to just swap them out.

I have at least one 600 cc engine I've been meaning to tear down because of a trans issue as a learning project... just had so many other projects I've not gotten around to it yet. It "may" not end up going back together... I guess I'll see when it's apart and know what is going on.

Currently working on getting the head tested and fixed on a 750cc motor for a swap into Badfaerie's bike.

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                X