X

Cam Chain tensioner

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cam Chain tensioner

Need to replace my cam tensioner spring.

Is #16 all I need from here? Or should I be picking up anything else?

Thanks!

I did 15 too , its a copper washer. its not entirely neccessary but it is copper and it does crush.

oh and another thing. unloosen 14 before you unloosen 18
    Last edited by mammut89; 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Good to know. Thx. I'm curious Mr. B, what km's do you have and how did you know it was time?...just thinking for the future....thx in advance.
      2004 GSX750F

Comment

Good idea - thanks mammut!

Chris: my bike has around 60,000km on it now. On a ride at the end of last season it started to make a horrible cam noise.
        I adjusted the valves around 20,000km ago (so they're due as well), and I'm hoping the tensioner solves my noise problem!

Comment

Mine did the same and I replaced the entire unit.

It worked for 20k km but its back to rattling again. I used the old one an made a manual adjuster out of it. No more noise.

A few others on the GSXR forums have claimed they just remove the nut and add a ball bearing or washers between the spring and nut for more tension...
          98 GSX750F
          95 Honda VT600 vlx
          08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Thanks a lot gents. I have some time to go mileage-wise.
            2004 GSX750F

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post

A few others on the GSXR forums have claimed they just remove the nut and add a ball bearing or washers between the spring and nut for more tension...

Well, my local dealer (one of the honest/fair ones!) seems to have shut down
              I added about 3-4 small washers - we'll see how that works!

When I took the tensioner out, it was pushed all the way in (fully loose).
              Exercised the mechanism, and it seemed to work properly. Putting it back in, the spring did extend the tensioner, so I we'll see how it works over the next few weeks!

Probably about 2 days away from having her running for the season

Comment

Working...
              X