X

Bike Clicks but doesn't Start

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Clicks but doesn't Start

My bike clicks when I try to start it but doesn't fire. It's not the battery, I've had it checked and it's fairly new. Jump starting it doesn't work either. I did start it by pushing the bike then throwing it into first, so this tells me the engine is fine. But it just won't start on it's own. Is it the starter? Some bad wiring? Hopefully something simple that I'm overlooking.

Check all your grounds. Sounds like a bad connection.
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

It's either the relay or the starter. I'd try a new relay first. The clicking says the relay is triggering, but no power to the starter. Time to get a voltmeter and start testing for voltage on the output of the relay.

Comment

Excuse my ignorance, what is the relay?

Comment

They are referring to the starter relay which is located under the left side fairing on the post Kats.
          2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
          2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Could also be a flat battery.
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              Could also be a flat battery.
              Imagine that, a logical answer.

Comment

I sincerely hope when you attempted to jump start it, the car engine was off !! I would start with the battery, a full charge, and a multi meter.
                Old Age and Treachery Will Beat Youth and Skill Every Time

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                  I sincerely hope when you attempted to jump start it, the car engine was off !! I would start with the battery, a full charge, and a multi meter.
                  Uh-oh, why? I jumpstarted it the same way I would a car. Did I destroy my battery?

Comment

The alternator output from a car is more than the bike's system is designed to handle, so if you did it once you are probably okay, just don't make a habit of it.
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

If jump starting it with a running car did any damage to your electrical system, the battery is the least of your worries.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        If jump starting it with a running car did any damage to your electrical system, the battery is the least of your worries.
                        This may not have a happy ending. .........but a lesson learned.
                        sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                        ------------------------------------------
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

It is possible if the car's charging system is putting out really well to boil the motorcycle's electrolyte. (Not a good thing.) That's even with the motorcycle's ignition off.

JFTR, if you can push-start the bike then the battery's not too bad off. When the battery's completely dead you can't even push start. Did you find the starter relay yet?
                          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

this probably wont relate to you, but I have some kind of dead spot on my bike that about once every 30 starts (maybe less) the starter doesnt turn the flywheel, so i push the bike 5-10 feet, sometimes thats enough to get the starter to spin and start the bike, sometimes i push it another 5-10 feet. Something is missing a tooth, it happens rarely enough (and takes a special tool to fix it) so i just deal, something you could try
                            '90 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by pisoncavalier View Post
                              this probably wont relate to you, but I have some kind of dead spot on my bike that about once every 30 starts (maybe less) the starter doesnt turn the flywheel, so i push the bike 5-10 feet, sometimes thats enough to get the starter to spin and start the bike, sometimes i push it another 5-10 feet. Something is missing a tooth, it happens rarely enough (and takes a special tool to fix it) so i just deal, something you could try
                              I don't think that's the case. The pawl on the starter clutch is probably just loose.
                              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X