X

1990 kat carb issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 kat carb issue

So I was looking to see why my bike smells like gas always.
    And I found out that one of my carbs is just leaking gas out of it
    It is dripping out from my air filer. What can in do or should do ?

Either your floats need adjusted, your needle and seat is dirty, or they need replaced.

Take the gas line off and blow into it. If you can blow air, you have a leaking needle and seat. Have to remove the carbs and either clean them well or replace the float needle.

Comment

By the time you go to the trouble of pulling the carbs, you may as well replace the needles.

Does the bike do this when it's running or also when it's sitting still? If it does it sitting still, then you need to rebuild the petcock (and change the oil), too.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I think it does it sitting and running. I know when I get off the bike I smell like gas. When my buddy's ride behind me they said they smell gas. I also only get 100 miles to the tank on my bike

Comment

Yeah, that's a problem.

Take a look at your oil level window. Are you overfilled? If so then the tank petcock is leaking as well as your float valves. If not then it's probably just the float needles worn out or with junk keeping them from seating. You need K&L part number 18-8944. 4 of them. Depending on what you find when you open the carbs you may need a whole bunch of o-rings, etc, too. Either way, you need to pull the carbs and clean the float needle seating area along with replacing those needles.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I have had issues with the carbs for awhile I was thinking of getting new ones. I have had them rebuilt 3-4 yrs ago should I need to have redone over and over again ?

Comment

Originally posted by Tommybauer View Post
              I have had issues with the carbs for awhile I was thinking of getting new ones. I have had them rebuilt 3-4 yrs ago should I need to have redone over and over again ?
              That depends,. Have you let the bike sit for two weeks or more? Modern fuel has ethanol which causes more issues. Without regular use, yes you will have carb issues. If it sits over the winter or if it sits for a few weeks or more, you will probably end up with carb issues.

If it's been 3-4 years, you probably got your moneys worth. If you don't want to rebuild them yourself, PM Arsenic. He'll buy your old carbs and sell you a premium clean and rebuilt set. Otherwise pick up carbs 101 and read through it if you want to do it yourself.

Comment

You don't need new carbs, you need to get the ones you have rebuilt and then you need to take care of them. Either do them right or pay someone to do them for you. Anytime you let the bike sit too long you're going to have problems. Anytime you let the bike sit too long without either fuel stabilizer or weekly running, you're going to have trouble.

Also, depending on who worked on them, they may or may not have replaced the float needles. (Suzuki doesn't list them as separate parts from the rest of the float assembly which are $65-$75 each.) A dealer probably won't replace them. Someone like Arsenic or me will.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

One thing I recall last time I had them done was the guy saying who ever jet it messed something and drilled something wrong. What am I looking at to redo mine if I had u or him do it ?

Comment

Easiest way is to PM arsenic and see if he's got any carbs to fit your bike in stock right now. He does an exchange program and he's got a pretty generous KR discount. This is what he does for a living and his carbs are top-notch.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Tommybauer View Post
                      One thing I recall last time I had them done was the guy saying who ever jet it messed something and drilled something wrong. What am I looking at to redo mine if I had u or him do it ?
                      Sorry, I don't rebuild carbs for others here. PM Arsenic for prices as I don't know what he charges.

Comment

Thk for the help !!! Hope to get it fixed so I get more then 100 miles to the tank. And I can ride this summer !!!!

Comment

Sure thing, good luck!

Comment

Working...
                          X