X

Strange shifting noise

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange shifting noise

So I'm not quite sure if this is a recent development or if my bike has done this for a long time.

About half a second after I shift my 93 750 (I've only noticed it downshifting, but wind/engine noise could be masking it when I upshift) I hear some kind of strange, brief sound which seems to be coming from under me or behind me.

It's very hard to describe. A bit like lightly slapping a chain against a metal rod perhaps.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?

Originally posted by mykat View Post
    So I'm not quite sure if this is a recent development or if my bike has done this for a long time.

About half a second after I shift my 93 750 (I've only noticed it downshifting, but wind/engine noise could be masking it when I upshift) I hear some kind of strange, brief sound which seems to be coming from under me or behind me.

It's very hard to describe. A bit like lightly slapping a chain against a metal rod perhaps.

Has anyone ever experienced anything similar?
    You already figured it out. Adjust your chain.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

Not sure how you downshift...... but I usually blip the throttle. Have you double-checked the chain tension?
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I did recently adjust the chain, following the haynes manual procedure.

I raise the bike onto the center stand, push up on the chain midway between the two sprockets, and measure the slack, looking for 1.2 to 1.6 inches as specified in the manual.

I will say that with the bike on the center stand, it looks as though the chain is resting on a rubber buffer on the swing arm. But it has been that way for at least ~3k or so miles that I've put on the bike.

As for blipping the throttle, I only notice the noise when I'm coming to a stop, in which case I'm moving slowly enough that I don't need to blip the throttle.

Comment

I thought its suppose to be on the sidestand?

Comment

As for blipping the throttle, I only notice the noise when I'm coming to a stop, in which case I'm moving slowly enough that I don't need to blip the throttle.
            Why would you be shifting coming to a stop? Just saying.... I shift to second after a blip on the throttle long before that, and then I'll shift into 1st after I'm basically stopped. If your chain's up to spec, then I would consider your riding style to be in need of some serious thought. Just my thoughts.... and I'm not trying to rag on ya.
            Peace
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I recall reading somewhere here a while ago that downshifting on a Katana at too high rpm, even with the clutch in, is hard on the transmission. So when I'm going 50 and I need to stop for a red light from 6th gear, typically I pull in the clutch, immediately shift down to 4th or 3rd as I brake, and shift to second around 15-20mph.

Does this sound like bad technique?

Comment

I recall reading somewhere here a while ago that downshifting on a Katana at too high rpm, even with the clutch in, is hard on the transmission. So when I'm going 50 and I need to stop for a red light from 6th gear, typically I pull in the clutch, immediately shift down to 4th or 3rd as I brake, and shift to second around 15-20mph.

Does this sound like bad technique?
                Yes....totally wrong. Pull the clutch and blip the throttle before the shift....all in one smooth act. Seriously.
                89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Jman2343 View Post
                  I thought its suppose to be on the sidestand?
                  +1 It makes a difference if you adjust the chain on the center stand as opposed to the side stand.
                  sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                  1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                  2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                  First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                  Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

hmm, read the title wrong. Thought it was a strange shi t ting noise
                    sigpic

Comment

Quoting from haynes:
                      "5: To check the chain, place the bike on its centerstand (if equipped) or support it so the rear wheel is off the ground and shift the transmission into neutral.

6 Push op on the bottom run of the chain and measure the slack midway between the two sprockets"

What kind of slack do you guys look for if you measure it on the sidestand?

Comment

Well, I don't have the service manual anymore for the Kat, but on the Busa (also Suzuki), the service and owners manuals both say to put the bike on the sidestand and there should be about .8 - 1.2 inches of slack on the bottom portion of the chain, midway between the two sprockets. There will be more slack on the top of the chain, by the way. I'm pretty sure the service manual for the Kat said pretty much the same thing but I can't confirm it now.
                        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Working...
                        X