X

Starting problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Starting problem

I have a 2005 kat 750 with 7000 miles on it and I went outside today to start it because I had it in storage for a little bit. It would turn over but not start, I tried it about 5 times before the battery went dead. I figured it maybe the battery but I took that and had it tested thinking it maybe didnt have enough to start it but thats ruled out. Sparks look ok and not flooded or anything. When I put my bike in storage I did all of the things a normal motorcycle owner would do for the care of it. Any sugestions of where to check next. Thanks in advance

your battery is too low, try charging overnight, Kats don't like batteries that are much under 11 volts. By the time that 11 volts hits your coils it's probably 10 or less. Nevermind, change fuel, clean carbs? How long in storage?
    sigpic

Comment

I'd still be looking at the battery. Fully charge it. Make sure it's full of fluid as well.

Then check the power at the coils on the bike with the starter turning the motor over. It must be over 10.5v or... it will crank forever and never start.

The reason I don't think carbs first.... the choke should still start the bike, but then it running rough or not keep running/idle right is generally the problem that shows with somewhat dirty carbs.

krey

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'm going to mention this just in case it was overlooked. Since it had been in storage for a while, did you move the petcock to PRIME and wait 10-15 seconds before trying to start it? If not, and the bowls were dry, you could easily kill the battery before enough fuel got in the bowls to start the bike if the battery was even a little low. I know, its happened to me
        sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
        1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
        2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
        First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
        Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

It was only stored for 1 month or so give and take a few days. I tried the battery charging twice and it just turns over without starting untill it doesnt even turn over anymore. I bought this bike last march from a dealership.

Comment

Right now, I'd stick with the battery......hopefully you didn't foul your plugs.... and be sure to use the choke and prime settings.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Thank you very much it was a low battery just like everybody said she started right up

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyMartello
                Hello,

1. Turn off the fuel and then disconnect the fuel hose at the carburetor. Let it drain into a container and turn the fuel switch to ON. Let the fuel run and see if it flows freely and for about 30 seconds. If it does not the tank fuel cap may not be allowing any air release into the tank.

Not sure that will work too well unless you turn the "fuel switch" to PRIME. ON requires a vacuum to open a valve in the petcock before fuel will flow. PRIME just keeps the valve open and let's gravity do its work.
                sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
                1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
                2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
                First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
                Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyMartello
                  Hello,

1. Turn off the fuel and then disconnect the fuel hose at the carburetor. Let it drain into a container and turn the fuel switch to ON. Let the fuel run and see if it flows freely and for about 30 seconds. If it does not the tank fuel cap may not be allowing any air release into the tank.
                  2. Find the carburetor mixture screw and turn it out anti-clockwise about a half turn. Or adjust it while the engine is running and to where the engine runs fastest at idle.
                  3. Check air filter for dirt or stoppage.
                  4. Make sure you have full tank of petrol.
                  5. Check spark plug gap. If you can check the spark plug at the time the engine quits it will tell you if the engine is not getting fuel (dry) or if it is getting too much fuel (wet).
                  6. Carb jets too lean or too rich for your elevation.
                  7. Make sure battery connection is tight.

Regards
                  Anthony
                  Do you even read posts or are you just a posting bot like I see on every other forum? Dood already figured out it was a battery.

Comment

At least this time he didn't confuse this with a car forum!
                    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                    X