X

Testing Alternator Question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing Alternator Question

I have a 2004 Katana 600 and I had a fuel filter that had the inside of it loose, so it world only flow fuel if it wasnt in a certain spot. The last time that I had the bike out the tachometer died and the speedometer died (prob the charging system quit working bc). I changed the fuel filter and am trying to start it and at first it wouldn't start and run, and now it wont start at all. I am trying to test the alternator the way that the Haynes manual tells me, but I have a concern.

QUESTION:
    I am testing the continuity between the slip rings (the rings on the alternator where the brushes are in contact with), and I'm not getting 100% continuity. It is reading close, but it jumps from like 5-50 ohms (mostly in the 5-10 range) when I switch the multimeter to ohms.
    Is this ok, or is my alternator shot?

Thanks.

The alternator will not keep the bike from starting. You have other issues. Weak battery maybe, but it should start and run with a faulty alternator.

Once you get the bike to run, check charging voltage. Should be around 13.8 VDC

Comment

Thank you for the quick reply. I'll focus my efforts on getting it started for now. Thanks again.

Comment

For the record, I've never relied on the OHm test for that. I'd rather test it when it's running as 90% of the time it's the regulator not the alternator.

Comment

You'll want to test it with it running.

If it's over/under target voltage it's the alternator.

If it's steady, then it's probably the battery.

The alternator in these motors is one combined unit everything is done in the housing and it sends out the DC current.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Working...
          X