Oil light comes on below 1500 RPM…

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil light comes on below 1500 RPM…

Bummer…(Did I do this?)
    After warm up, the oil light comes on below 1500 RPM.
    Oil pump replacement, right?
    Will that be enough, or just the next step?
    Bill

What weight oil are you using?

Comment

Strange, id lean towards the oil pump as well...
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

or a bad sending unit
        sigpic

Comment

I'd settle for that…

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
          or a bad sending unit
          Could it be that easy, (cheap)?
          Thanks.

Comment

Could also be a loose wire from the sending unit. I'd suspect an electrical problem with the light before I'd think the oil pump itself is going bad. They are direct driven off the crank....
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I've had to replace senders on many cars over the years, can't imagine a bikes is much different.
              sigpic

Comment

I would say first things first.

Probably you have eliminated the basics, but first thing would be to check the oil level right?....
                2002 GSXF 750

Comment

I remember back in the day, my '86 900r Ninja had an oil light problem and for like $40 bought a Lockhart mechanical oil gauge mounted low on the crankcase which told the true mechanical oil pressure. I did this because of two oil switch replacements which both read lo pressure but in fact oil pressure was ok.
                  Do the thing you fear most, and the Death of fear is most certain.

Comment

Interesting…

Originally posted by BIG-KO View Post
                    I remember back in the day, my '86 900r Ninja had an oil light problem and for like $40 bought a Lockhart mechanical oil gauge mounted low on the crankcase which told the true mechanical oil pressure. I did this because of two oil switch replacements which both read lo pressure but in fact oil pressure was ok.
                    The Haynes manual suggested hooking up a pressure gauge to the engine and pointed out where to do it. To be done before replacing parts. They listed 43 to 85 PSI at 60ºF, as the range.
                    Last edited by buffalobill; 01-11-2012, 01:14 PM.

Comment

When I bought my 81 GS750L It did a similar thing, light would flicker under 1k rpm. I figured it was a bad oil pressure sensor... Replaced it and it worked fine for +30K miles.
                      Jedz123...

1991 Katana GSX600F (WINTER PROJECT)
                      1998 Bandit GSF1200S Daily rider

Comment

Geez, did we all have GS750s at one time? I had a 78 ES
                        sigpic

Comment

GS1100G-Track Bike?

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
                          I got mine, 1982 GS1100G. Love it, even tracked it last summer.
                          But they don't need much oil pressure, because they got roller bearings on the crank.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                            I got mine, 1982 GS1100G. Love it, even tracked it last summer.
                            But they don't need much oil pressure, because they got roller bearings on the crank.
                            LOL the GS was an awesome model! How else would we have gotten hooked to some form of it?
                            Jedz123...

1991 Katana GSX600F (WINTER PROJECT)
                            1998 Bandit GSF1200S Daily rider

Comment

Working...
                            X