X

bike idles a 5k rpm

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
    Did you try turning down the idle adjustment knob?
    yeah i have my buddy helping me he knows a lil more about it but we were messing with the screw next to the throttle cable which i had assumed was the idle screw and it would either go to a grand and die or shoot back up to 5 k its like there was no inbetween no matter how small of a turn i did

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
    Correct.
    thank you i appreciate your wisdom now to find an air box any cheap ideas?
    Last edited by Spadesup420; 01-06-2012, 12:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

eBay

Comment

Originally posted by Spadesup420 View Post
        its spitting raw gas from the pcv hose or breather hose dont know what to call it but is that normal?
        No, thats not normal...

Engines don't run right if they are getting too much fuel (RICH) or too much air (LEAN).

Choke adds fuel. Since it runs faster with less fuel (Choke off) and you know the carbs are getting too much fuel ( I'm guessing the gas coming out is from the bowl vents ) you are probably running with your idle screw set too high, and with a sticky float or gummed up needle valve so you never stop the flow of gas into the carbs and it overflows.

Does that make sense?

Comment

1989 Suzuki Katana GSX600F - Air Box

Comment

Originally posted by ejether View Post
            No, thats not normal...

Engines don't run right if they are getting too much fuel (RICH) or too much air (LEAN).

Choke adds fuel. Since it runs faster with less fuel (Choke off) and you know the carbs are getting too much fuel ( I'm guessing the gas coming out is from the bowl vents ) you are probably running with your idle screw set too high, and with a sticky float or gummed up needle valve so you never stop the flow of gas into the carbs and it overflows.

Does that make sense?
            makes alot of sense i think im gonna tear them down and rebuild them
            any way

Comment

Originally posted by Spadesup420 View Post
              makes alot of sense i think im gonna tear them down and rebuild them
              any way
              That's never a bad thing!

Sometimes when you are dumping fuel in it can get into the oil too and that's a bad thing so check your petcock too and make sure you do an oil change.

Good Luck!

Comment

That's never a bad thing!

Sometimes when you are dumping fuel in it can get into the oil too and that's a bad thing so check your petcock too and make sure you do an oil change.

Good Luck!
                No, it can't. Not from filling fuel nor from the petcock. That's a carb issue, specifically the float needles.

Either way, if the oil smells like gas it does indeed need an oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                  No, it can't. Not from filling fuel nor from the petcock. That's a carb issue, specifically the float needles.

Either way, if the oil smells like gas it does indeed need an oil change.
                  Really? I've always been lead to believe that when you have free flowing gas into the carbs (faulty petcock and/or sticky needles), especially when parked fuel can end up in the crank case?

Its a bad thing no matter how it happens though, as you say.

Comment

yeah ima buy an airbox do an oil change and clean out the carbs then ill report back
                    oil reeks of hydro carbons hahaha

Comment

Really? I've always been lead to believe that when you have free flowing gas into the carbs (faulty petcock and/or sticky needles), especially when parked fuel can end up in the crank case?

Here's the thing. Faulty petcock will fix the issue with bike off, but not when it's running.

Float needles will fix both situations. Therefor, do the float needles.

Comment

Here's how it happens, I think you've got a decent grasp, but misinformed. If you have free flowing fuel into your carbs, than you have a faulty petcock. But, unless your float needles are not sealing off correctly, it's not going to let fuel into the oil. If you have free flowing fuel AND it's in the oil. You have two problems. A faulty petcock AND bad float needles. In other words, If you have a faulty petcock, fix it, but it's not causing fuel to mix with the oil.

Comment

i know the pet cock is bad it drips like crazy when i disconnect the fuel line and in the run or res position should i say ebay?

Comment

I would. There's a seller Georgefix or something like that. He sells no ones for not too much. There's no 88-89 600 petcocks on eBay. They are not the same as 90-97 600 or 89-97 750. This one will work: 98-06 GSX600 KATANA 98-05 GSX750 KATANA PETCOCK
                            Last edited by arsenic; 01-06-2012, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                              I would. There's a seller Georgefix or something like that. He sells no ones for not too much. There's no 88-89 600 petcocks on eBay. They are not the same as 90-97 600 or 89-97 750. This one will work: 98-06 GSX600 KATANA 98-05 GSX750 KATANA PETCOCK
                              i found one on ebay for like 54.99 oem model j

Comment

Is it new or is it 24 years old?

Comment

Working...
                                X