X

centerstand mod

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• centerstand mod

problem: that ugly 'useful' centerstand.

i wanted to use the centerstand but didn't want it on the bike all the time. the main problem is that to remove the stand you must remove the mid-pipe & exhaust can. thats to much work.

so... a little fix.
    in the picture you can see the position of the original bolts (red) and their spot welded friends (nuts- red arrows).

i removed the exhaust and two bolts and disconnected the springs. i measured the bolt diameter and got the next size larger SAE high strength threaded rod. i drilled out the nuts so that the 1 piece threaded rod ( blue arrow )could slide all the way through the mounting points.
    reinstall exhaust.
    two locking nuts (yellow) set the length so i don't have to worry about the rod hitting the exhaust, then i hand tighten a nut (green) to keep the rod from backing out. i normally don't install the spring because it's just used to keep the centerstand in the raised position ( i normally don't move my bike - but if i do i use a rubber band to hold it up - going backwards of course ).

so it spends most of the time on the garage wall until i need to get the rear tire off the ground. ( plus it lightens the overall weight )

tim
    Attached Files

not a bad idea but what about a d-ring clip that removes fast like what is used on farm equipment? Actually you will have to have two of them. That is the idea that I have been messing with but only for the use of the stand for chain adjustment or tire change. most everything else I can do with a lift or race stand.
    TDA Racing/Motorsports
    1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
    Who knows what is next?
    Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
    Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by THAZKAT
      not a bad idea but what about a d-ring clip that removes fast like what is used on farm equipment? .
      Thats what I'm talking about!!

Comment

Wow thats pretty slick Tim. Great idea for those who wanna use the kats for track days too.. just a few minutes and off w/ the centerstand..then a few more and its back on..

Comment

Tim, thanks for the right up. It is a neat idea.

Comment

not a bad idea but what about a d-ring clip that removes fast like what is used on farm equipment? Actually you will have to have two of them. That is the idea that I have been messing with but only for the use of the stand for chain adjustment or tire change. most everything else I can do with a lift or race stand.
            i'm a city boy , farm equipment- lol

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
              i'm a city boy , farm equipment- lol

tim
              it wasn't until I moved out to the lake and living around farmer's that I learned how much great stuff the TSC(tractor supply center) has
              TDA Racing/Motorsports
              1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
              Who knows what is next?
              Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
              Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Really ? I've lived out in the cunnry for most of my life , and I think I've been in one of those stores ONCE . I always drive to the "city" to get supplies .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                X