Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How do i find what year this kat engine is?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do i find what year this kat engine is?

I got a katana(believe 600) engine and i dont have any idea what year it is. It looks like a newer one, ie 90's but is there a way to tell what year it is exactly? Thanks

I thought the Posts were silver and the Pre's were black? That at least puts it at 98+. Really, that's all you need to know because all the Pre's were the same and all the Posts were the same.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
      I thought the Posts were silver and the Pre's were black? That at least puts it at 98+. Really, that's all you need to know because all the Pre's were the same and all the Posts were the same.
      THANKS!! I need to order parts for this engine and wanted to make sure the year so i get the right parts. Also plan on going with the dyna ignition since i dont have the original ignitor box, wiring harness, etc.. and its going into a kart so makes it much simpler. What coils do i use with the dyna? I have a set of stock "pre" coils if theyll work.

Comment

Originally posted by frankysfree View Post
        THANKS!! I need to order parts for this engine and wanted to make sure the year so i get the right parts. Also plan on going with the dyna ignition since i dont have the original ignitor box, wiring harness, etc.. and its going into a kart so makes it much simpler. What coils do i use with the dyna? I have a set of stock "pre" coils if theyll work.
        You might be better off, and cheaper, to comb through some Craigslist ads for a wrecked Post Kat and get the wiring harness, coils, and ignitor box. Then it's all plug and play.

While I'm thinking about it, what carbs are you using with that motor?
        Last edited by 05RedKat600; 12-24-2011, 11:51 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

You might be better off, and cheaper, to comb through some Craigslist ads for a wrecked Post Kat and get the wiring harness, coils, and ignitor box. Then it's all plug and play.

While I'm thinking about it, what carbs are you using with that motor?
          I dont have carbs for it yet.

It seems WAY simpler to do the dyna ignition since it does away with anything i dont need to make it run, plus its adjustable and when i rebuild this engine ill be having some head work done at the same time, and i think i saw something on here about going with gsxr cams and they are bolt on mod.
          Last edited by frankysfree; 12-24-2011, 11:58 AM.

Comment

I dont have carbs for it yet.

It seems WAY simpler to do the dyna ignition since it does away with anything i dont need to make it run, plus its adjustable and when i rebuild this engine ill be having some head work done at the same time, and i think i saw something on here about going with gsxr cams and they are bolt on mod.
            If you don't have carbs yet, see if you can scrounge up the dough for some RS flatslides. The stock carbs are a PITA if they sit for more than a week, and suck to tune.

Yup, GSXR cams will work, but these motors still won't become hot rods even with that and some head work. Now, if it was a 1200 Kat or 1100 GSXR motor, then it would be worth all that, but not the 600's. You might go from 80-82 HP with the cams and head work. IMO, the amount of dollars in is not not worth the HP gain out. But, it's not my dealio.

The money you spend in mods would be better spent on a larger CC motor, like a 750 or 1200.

Comment

If you don't have carbs yet, see if you can scrounge up the dough for some RS flatslides. The stock carbs are a PITA if they sit for more than a week, and suck to tune.

Yup, GSXR cams will work, but these motors still won't become hot rods even with that and some head work. Now, if it was a 1200 Kat or 1100 GSXR motor, then it would be worth all that, but not the 600's. You might go from 80-82 HP with the cams and head work. IMO, the amount of dollars in is not not worth the HP gain out. But, it's not my dealio.

The money you spend in mods would be better spent on a larger CC motor, like a 750 or 1200.
              well, as far as the headwork goes, i get it done by my buddy who owns a race shop and has a cnc machine. ill be looking at most $200, plus i need to throw new rings into it anyway so the head will already be off.

The engine was free so i dont have anything into it... Is
              there a way to use 750 cylinder and head? i might do that if its feasible. Also, ive done turbo bikes before and was considering a turbo setup but as you say, the money would be better spent on a bigger engine.

Comment

well, as far as the headwork goes, i get it done by my buddy who owns a race shop and has a cnc machine. ill be looking at most $200, plus i need to throw new rings into it anyway so the head will already be off.

The engine was free so i dont have anything into it... Is
                there a way to use 750 cylinder and head?
                i might do that if its feasible. Also, ive done turbo bikes before and was considering a turbo setup but as you say, the money would be better spent on a bigger engine.
                Not sure of the question in bold.

Free is good! It's cool that your buddy has a machine shop like that. I port and polish all my heads myself on my bench, then CC the chambers too. Takes a while, but it's fun.

Besides, for the use you have for it the way it is now it has plenty of power. 80 HP in a shifter kart is insanity anyway. The guys using R1 motors and such have suicide wishes.

Comment

Not sure of the question in bold.

Free is good! It's cool that your buddy has a machine shop like that. I port and polish all my heads myself on my bench, then CC the chambers too. Takes a while, but it's fun.

Besides, for the use you have for it the way it is now it has plenty of power. 80 HP in a shifter kart is insanity anyway. The guys using R1 motors and such have suicide wishes.
                  Basically i was asking what the difference in the 600 and 750 was. Is it bore? Or stroke? and if its bore, then is it possible to use the jug and pistons off a 750 to achieve more cc's?

Its actually not a shifter kart. Its a modified honda odyssey off road kart, that i put rear suspension on, and when i receive the rear end i bought off ebay(yamaha banshee 350), it will be a roller. My thinking is, that the 600's, 750's, and 1100's, are pretty similar so after i mount this engine i can always retrofit a bigger engine later. Also, ive noticed the 1100's are GREAT platforms for turbos and make BIG horsepower when built right... Maybe later after its moving under its own power...

Comment

Basically i was asking what the difference in the 600 and 750 was. Is it bore? Or stroke? and if its bore, then is it possible to use the jug and pistons off a 750 to achieve more cc's?

Its actually not a shifter kart. Its a modified honda odyssey off road kart, that i put rear suspension on, and when i receive the rear end i bought off ebay(yamaha banshee 350), it will be a roller. My thinking is, that the 600's, 750's, and 1100's, are pretty similar so after i mount this engine i can always retrofit a bigger engine later. Also, ive noticed the 1100's are GREAT platforms for turbos and make BIG horsepower when built right... Maybe later after its moving under its own power...
                    They are. You can easily swap motors, and there is a how to here as well.

I know exactly what you are asking in regards to the head, but I'm not sure if it can be done or not. I know the bore is different as you can't just swap jugs and pistons and make a 600 a 750. You would have to machine the crankcases for the bigger pistons to clear during the stroke. Pretty sure it's the same stroke, just different bore sizes.

Comment

Yeah, it's possible. You need to bore the case though. At least on a pre 98 600 engine you do.

Comment

Thanks. I'll probably just leave the bore alone. I don't want to turn a free engine into a money pit...

Comment

Thanks. I'll probably just leave the bore alone. I don't want to turn a free engine into a money pit...
                          Good idea. If you try to turn a 600 into a 750, that is EXACTLY what you will be doing. Trust me, I've done it.

Comment

Working...
                          X