X

Bike will not start!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike will not start!

So I finally got the 750 Katana back together after cleaning the carbs completely, by dipping them, visually synched the carbs, checked the float heights, adjusted the a/f screws, and triple checked the carbs and all vacuum ports.

Now the bike will not start. The engine does not seem to even try to fire. All I hear is the starter running when i turn the key. Bike is not even trying to start!

I took the spark plugs out, some are rusty and there is white residue on the shaft. As far as the actually tip, it is black.

The battery is new, don't know what else to do at this point.
    Bike sat for a little before I bought it but it only has 7k miles.

It sarted before I cleaned the carbs, after the first time I cleaned the carbs, and now nothing.

I can do it

Clean the plugs, and turn the fuel to PRIME before you try and start it.

Comment

I did prime it. praying it's the plugs I don't know what else it could be at this point
      I can do it

Comment

put a charger on the battery, these things don't like a battery that's slightly low. Will crank well but not fire. Also, check for fuel flow out of petcock and check for spark.
        sigpic

Comment

fuel is flowing. used a charger on the battery while starting. I tested a plug and there was a spark
          I can do it

Comment

Then it's one of two things. The fuel isn't making it from the bowls to the engine, or the spark is too weak.

Comment

When I clean my carbs it normally takes a little while to get it to fire unless i use a little starting fuid. Once started it will continue to start. changing your plugs is a good idea.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

If you got rust on the plugs check the compression just for the heck of it, but i agree, these things dont like to fire on a low battery. Carb cleaner or starter fluid may help her start better

Comment

carb cleaner or starter fluid sprayed where????

bad starter solenoid a possibility you think?

I believe I may have left the bike on prime while it was running the previous times when it ran...could this have caused an issue?
                  Last edited by iamtheguynoodles; 12-07-2011, 02:10 AM.
                  I can do it

Comment

When you say its not trying, is the bike turning over? Clicking? Just nothing?

Comment

The bike is turning over fine. Its just not trying to fire. Getting new spark plugs today and going to keep my fingers crossed that thats all it is.

Comment

You spray a little bit of Starting fluid in the air intake. Not too much.. And if it starts with the starting fluid and won't without it.. Then I would look at it being a fuel problem. Hope that helps
                        Check my garage for current pic and upgrades

My build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=127457

Comment

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
                          put a charger on the battery, these things don't like a battery that's slightly low. Will crank well but not fire.
                          +1

Mine did this recently. Test the voltage at the coil and it's probably just over 10v. Mine couldn't even be jump started. It would crank fine but the spark was too weak to fire. GL

Comment

The battery could have a dead cell or more, which will cause issues trying to get it started.

use Jumper cables to a car (car turned off) and try to start it again.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

we had it on jumper cables to a car and it wouldnt make a difference. I believe the battery could almost be rulled out untill further examination. I will try the new spark plugs tonight and see if that works. If that doesnt work, I will try starter fluid in the intake and see if that works as well. Thanks for all the help, and I will post an update later on as to how it goes

Comment

Working...
                              X