X

Question, please help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question, please help

When i start up my bike, i let it warm up and everything and turn off the choke but once i do that i run really rough at a really low idle and it dies every time and then it takes me forever to start it back up. sometime actually all the time i have to turn on the choke again just for it to start up. what could this be that is making my bike like this and why its running so rough? please help guys/girls thanks.

My answer is very basic, but have you checked the fuel switch on the left side of the bike? I think some people call it a petcock. I like to call it a fuel switch.

If it's in an in between position, you may not be getting enough fuel. And is the airpath to your intake clear? As simple as that sounds, my bike did the same thing you've described until I noticed that I had stored two red rags under the seat, right where the air intake area is. I don't know that I have helped you, but there are virtual wizards on here that will fix it for you for sure.

"Some people call it a slingblade. I like to call it a Kaiser blade. Mmmmm hhhhm. All right then."

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

i dont even have anything in there. and the fuel switch is pointing towards the front of the bike. i am thinking about taking off my tank and getting some carb cleaner to see if that helps. but i just filled up my tank lol.

Comment

there's your first problem, petcock forward? That's the reserve position, it should be straight down unless you're nearly out of gas. I'm going to bet you've sucked crap out of the bottom of your tank and the fuel filter is clogged and the carbs are dirty.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by mcssls View Post
          there's your first problem, petcock forward? That's the reserve position, it should be straight down unless you're nearly out of gas. I'm going to bet you've sucked crap out of the bottom of your tank and the fuel filter is clogged and the carbs are dirty.
          +1

Also if it runs fine with the choke on and then dies with it off tells me your carbs need to be cleaned. More specifically the pilot jets are likely plugged up with crap.

depending on the year of your bike check the WIKI section and use carbs 101 or 102 to do the cleaning. Also you can find the info on your fuel petcock....how to remove, check, and replace.

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post
            Also if it runs fine with the choke on and then dies with it off tells me your carbs need to be cleaned. More specifically the pilot jets are likely plugged up with crap.
            Holy crap, at least one person listens too me.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              Holy crap, at least one person listens too me.
              I try

Comment

Has it always done this, or did it just start doing it?

Originally posted by eksessiv View Post
                why its running so rough?
                Because you touch yourself at night.
                Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

it just started doing this not to long ago. and i believe my petcock is in the right position because i took it to the shop not to long ago and they are extremely experienced and they said that forward is where its suppose to be at and pointing down is turned off and towards the rear is for emergency and you have a little fuel left.

Comment

The shop doesn't know their head from their ***. Seriously. Forward is reserve, down is ON, back is PRIME for filling the bowls after storage or a cleaning. There is no OFF position. Every Kat is like that, and shops tend to not know very much about them. Sounds like this one is par for the course in regards to Kats.

Another point is that if they can't be bothered to know this, I would find another shop to work on my bike, as these guys fail the most basic test.

If you don't believe me, download and read the service manual. Then, if I were you, I'd email the owner of that shop a copy and tell him his techs need to read it.

Last edited by 05RedKat600; 11-26-2011, 12:32 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Shop Fail....

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok. well i will see if this helps any and see what the bike does. i appreciate it and thanks for the help.

Comment

Changing the position of the fuel knob probably won't do anything. You need to look at your fuel filter, and possibly clean your carbs. Sounds like some junk got in your bowls and dirtied them up. Carbs 102 in the WIKI will show you how to clean them.

Comment

well went and warmed it up and did what Kreylyn posted and it didnt work, my rpm's drop down to 1k and shuts off still.

Comment

Originally posted by eksessiv View Post
                              well went and warmed it up and did what Kreylyn posted and it didnt work, my rpm's drop down to 1k and shuts off still.
                              Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                              Changing the position of the fuel knob probably won't do anything. You need to look at your fuel filter, and possibly clean your carbs. Sounds like some junk got in your bowls and dirtied them up. Carbs 102 in the WIKI will show you how to clean them.
                              Also check your air filter, be sure it's clean. When was the last time you checked the spark plugs or valve adjustment?

Comment

Working...
                              X