X

Gas leak problem. plz help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas leak problem. plz help

I have not rode my bike in a month went out to start it an I heard a loud pop. Then i let it run for a few minutes then turned it off. Then I started seeing gas leak from where my muffler connect at the bottom where the bolt meet.? Gas just keep coming out from there is what I can see.
    Let's ride

Float needles are not seating in the carbs?. Time for a cleaning? check your oil, is it full of fuel?.
    If it's coming from around the connection of the mufflers it may be a carb leak that is running down the motor.
    Last edited by 92xjunker; 11-25-2011, 11:09 AM.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

you probably have stuck floats and need to clean carbs. Check your oil, if there's gas in it too then clean carbs and change oil. If it's in the oil it confirms floats, you can also pull plugs to tell. Otherwise it has to be running down from the carb/tank area.
      sigpic

Comment

probably the float/s are stuck.

Comment

If it is stuck floats I don't think the bike would of started with that much gas, would of hydro locked with all the gas. Unless they got stuck while running, and filled after shutdown now you have a engine full of gas.

Did the gas start pooring out right after shutdown? Or did it sit for a few. And did you check to see if it's coming out higher up maybe around the tank or a line and running down the engine?

Also what year and model is it.
          Last edited by Jman2343; 11-25-2011, 10:56 AM.

Comment

It started leaking right after I turned the bike off and from what i can see its not coming from the tank area and I had a full tank of gas in it at the time. Yeah I'm not seeing the gas come from any where but the muffler area I will have to take off the body it to look deeper for the start point.
            Let's ride

Comment

Did you check your oil as they suggested above?

Comment

More likely than not it's an overflow from either the carbs, gas tank, or airbox. Probably your airbox. Having it actually come out of the muffler joint there is almost impossible, as both the intake and exhaust valves would have to be open at the same time for the gas to go from the carb to the exhaust pipe like that.

Comment

Thanks for all the help and answers
                  Let's ride

Comment

Let us know what you find.

Comment

Found out why the bike was leaking gas. I guess one of my kids put my bike in the prime position and I didn't know so I had the bike running for I don't know how long in the prime postion. So i put it back in the down postion.
                      Let's ride

Comment

Question....

You have an air tank with a hole in it. It only leaks air when you pump air into the tank. Is it fixed if you stop pumping air into the tank?

The bike should not leak on prime... and just not using prime does not fix the issue.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

It stop leaking gas and it starts the it runs for a little bit then the bike dies and it won't stay started?
                          Let's ride

Comment

Originally posted by thuglife213 View Post
                            It stop leaking gas and it starts the it runs for a little bit then the bike dies and it won't stay started?

Clean the carbs, check the oil for fuel in it, drain and change the oil if yes on the fuel.

When cleaning the carbs pay close attention to the floats and float needles are sealing. Bench test them before putting the carbs back on the bike.

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                            X