X

Fuel issues..to start please help!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel issues..to start please help!

ok so.. i recently bought a 1994 katana 600, it has 6k miles on it and is in fairly good condition, when i purchased it, it had been sitting for 11 months, i put a new battery/cleaned tank best i could (still some rust it looks like) and cleaned the carbs. My problem began with it not wanting to fire, after i plugged what im assuming were 2 vacume lines it begain to run but it seemed as though there wasnt enough fuel to keep it running solid, i drvoe it around the block a couple times and it did some bucking and didnt wanna run smooth what so ever, as of now, it wont fire, if it does its only for a second and when i put the tank back on it starts leaking fuel out of where the cabs attach to the air box... someone please help me, i bought the bike for 450$ and its in great shape, all plastics good, brakes new tires, all looks still untouched, im not sure if im getting too much fuel/air/ not enough?? what should i do? thanks guys for any help.. Oh and im new to your forum! thanks for any/everything!!!

Your float needles are leaking. How did you clean the carbs?

Comment

i took them off and cleaned everything with carb cleaner, saoked the big jets and cleaned them out (they were totally clogged)

the float bowls i noticed too were never empty! always had fuel in them, i literraly took the tank off and tried to clean all fuel out of the carbs and after 20 min i chcked the float bowls and they still had lots of fuel in them
      Last edited by 02TrickFlowGT; 11-07-2011, 01:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by 02TrickFlowGT View Post
        i took them off and cleaned everything with carb cleaner, saoked the big jets and cleaned them out (they were totally clogged)

the float bowls i noticed too were never empty! always had fuel in them, i literraly took the tank off and tried to clean all fuel out of the carbs and after 20 min i chcked the float bowls and they still had lots of fuel in them
        Ah. Carbs aren't really clean then. You have to remove the A/F screws, all jets, plastic and rubber pieces and soak them in carb dip. Odds are good the pilot circuit is plugged up. If the big jets were plugged up, it's certain the smaller pilot circuit is plugged as well.

Download and read this PDF: http://katriders.com/wiki/index.php5...e:Carbs101.pdf

Comment

alright much appreciated! ill re do it, any tips on completly cleaning every spec of rust from the tank? any kinda cleaner i should use, iv heard ball bearing or bbs help too?

Comment

alright much appreciated! ill re do it, any tips on completly cleaning every spec of rust from the tank? any kinda cleaner i should use, iv heard ball bearing or bbs help too?
            Get a POR-15 kit....that should do the trick. It's either that or electrolysis, but POR-15 would be quicker.

Comment

cool will do thanks for the help ill let ya know how it goes after the carb/tank cleaning!

Comment

cool will do thanks for the help ill let ya know how it goes after the carb/tank cleaning!
                Just be sure to clean the tank before you hook it to your carbs again. Otherwise all that hard work will be wasted.

Comment

will do! i read that article you showed mee and im wondering if ill have a hell of a time trying to figure out the syncronaztion part

Comment

will do! i read that article you showed mee and im wondering if ill have a hell of a time trying to figure out the syncronaztion part
                    It's a LOT harder than it sounds. There are lots of videos on YouTube that show you how to do this, and also how easy it is.

Comment

alright guys well basically, i did the carb/tank clean and i had noooo luck what so ever, things were deff dirty and 3 cans of carb cleaner and a day later i got them all clean, when i hooked everything back up all seemed well..at first, needless to say it wouldnt start, but i got frusterated and decided to take a break when i came back out side there was a giant wet spot (gas) that was just dripping out of the black hose that looked to come from the bottom of the air box, so i guess it looks like its time to take it too a shop and hve them completly rebuild them? and also, whats the deal with the 2 vaccume(im assuming) hoses? i had them plugged before cause the bike wouldnt run unless those 2 hoses were plugged, now im just not sure any more and am losing hope fast! please any info would be great, im taking it to a buddys dad who builds harleys and stuff in hopes he knows what might be the problem but after that ill have to find the money to get it too a shop! thanks again yall
                      Last edited by 02TrickFlowGT; 11-14-2011, 08:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Shops suck at this. They aren't gonna do a good job.
                        carburetors carbs Suzuki GSX600F Katana 600 90-97
                        Those are a lot better and cheaper. PM me, if you buy one of those, I'll refund you a core if you send me your old ones.
                        Last edited by arsenic; 11-14-2011, 08:21 PM.

Comment

welll ****...:/ i just wanna ride!!

Comment

You need to treat the tank, THEN clean the carbs, THEN you have a good baseline for diagnosing a fueling issue. Are you getting spark?
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

the tank is clean lol, that was no problem, i didnt run dirty gas threw my clean carbs that would be no good!

and yes deff getting spark, it wants to start just wont it gets a little closer if i hold the throttle all the way open

Comment

Working...
                              X