X

Bike sat for a year

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by kc5qdf View Post
    The bike that I purchased a few months ago had been sitting for nearly 2 years. I emptied the tanks and added fresh fuel with the appropriate amount of sea foam. It would not start. So I sprayed sea foam in the carbs until they were full. I let them sit for a while. The tried starting again. It wouldn't catch. I filled a spray bottle with a mixture of fuel and sea foam. and finally got it to start all be it rough. Once I got it to run I let it warm up then sea foamed the carbs while it was running and let it hot soak. I did this twice. Now it runs like a champ and I didn't even remove the carbs.

I have never had a problem with sea foam products. I swear by it for boats. I have a 1969 Mercury 650 that had not even been started in 20 years. I sea foamed the cylinder and the carbs and let them soak for a couple of days. A new battery and she fired right up and has given me several dependable summers of fun on the lake.

So, I say sea foam it.
    All I have to say is you got lucky.

Comment

• Carbs just are foreign language to me I don't know much I'm afraid I'll take them apart and mess something that's why I rather get it from someone else

Comment

• Originally posted by zsrbpk View Post
        Carbs just are foreign language to me I don't know much I'm afraid I'll take them apart and mess something that's why I rather get it from someone else
        99.9% of people that try to do it on there own DO mess them up. Carbs are not a foreign language to me, don't worry.

Comment

• Just read that the petcock can lead to oil in the gas tank and not the carbs

Comment

Just read that the petcock can lead to oil in the gas tank and not the carbs
            Which is complete and utter BS. You see, the float needles allow gas into the carb bowls, NOT the petcock. Fix the float needles as they will cause mixture problems as well, allowing more fuel into the bowls than is required.

Comment

• Ok so I will replace the float needs and adjust float height or buy new carb
              Last edited by zsrbpk; 11-12-2011, 01:57 PM.

Comment

Ok so I need to replace the float needs and adjust float height

Until you do that, tuning your carbs is a moot point as you have extra fuel flowing into your engine.

Don't get me wrong, you should still check and fix your petcock. If it flows gas in any position other than Prime with the engine off, it's not working right either. But the main cause of fuel in gas is the float needles.

Comment

Just read that the petcock can lead to oil in the gas tank and not the carbs

This makes no sense at all...

The petcock does not suck oil out of the engine and pull it all the way up to put it in the tank... or anything else for that matter.

Seriously though (cause I'm pretty sure you didn't really mean it the way it reads)....

Fuel starts in the tank. The petcock is just a valve to allow fuel to flow from the tank to the carbs. The valve is vacuum operated. It does not control flow rate, just on/off. When in prime, or when vacuum is applied, it's pretty much flowing fuel. This means when the engine is running, fuel is always flowing for the correct setup.

The carbs each have a float and a needle. Fuel enters the carbs around the needle, until the fuel level pushes the floats up against the needles. The needles then seal off the in flow of fuel into the carb body. So when the bowl if "full" at the specified level, no more fuel can flow into them if the flaot and needle are working properly.

If the float and needle are not working right, then fuel will continue to flow in and overflow the carbs. The fuel has to go somewhere, and 1/2 the time it's into the cylinders. The gas washes down around the pistons and deposits into the crank case mixing with the oil that is stored there.

The problem with blaming it on the petcock... Even a properly working petcock does not stop the fuel from flowing when on prime or vacuum is applied (the entire time it's running). This means that if you only focus on the petcock and make it work right... your STILL flooding the engine when the bike is running, and all the fuel between the petcock and carbs will flow into the carbs when the engine is off... causing the same issues with over flow of the carbs and filling the engine with fuel. It's just a little slower as your not dumping the full tank all at one time, unless you left it on prime.

If there is fuel in your oil... it's the carbs, and the carbs only that are the serious problem that needs fixed.

The petcock is a secondary issue entirely in this situation. Fix it if its not working right, but that isn't going to stop the main problem.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Damn Krey, I didn't really realize what he actually said. I read it as "gas in the oil" lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                      Damn Krey, I didn't really realize what he actually said. I read it as "gas in the oil" lol.

I did a triple take, and then still though that I was reading it wrong...

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

• Thanks carb fixing time!

Comment

• It was "carb fixing time" 12 pages ago.

Comment

• Yea it was your right lol

Comment

• Just pulled the carbs and tried a test and i dont know if it works or what but i blow pressure with my mouth into the main fuel line where the filter is to see is one of the floats wasnt seated right and i didnt get any leaks.

Comment

Working...
                              X