No announcement yet.
X

Squeaky Forks on 93 1100 Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the tube will help drive the seal straight and nothing to hit the tube with.. like a wrench etc...
    http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
    http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
    '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
    "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
    "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Hi guys, I tried to use the wrench to remove the bolt where the fork oil would go...on top of the forks. But the bolt would not come all the way out. It turns fine for about 20 half turns then stops. I tried twice up to the point where it felt like if I tried any harder I would break something. I have snapped / bent metal bolts before so I did not want to push harder. Is there a way to add oil without tearing down the fork assembly?
      Sven
      '93 gsx1100f Kat

I often sound like I know what I am talking about, obviously that is often not the case!

Comment

No, there isn't. Is it backing out at all? It's fine threads and it does help to keep some downward pressure on the cap while turning it.
        Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

It backs out and turns about 10 full rotations to about 3/4 inch then stops dead. It feels like it is not supposed to move any further and if I do it will snap. I guess I have have to risk it and just crank harder. When in doubt, get the hammer out!
          Sven
          '93 gsx1100f Kat

I often sound like I know what I am talking about, obviously that is often not the case!

Comment

I've never gotten that. Do you have the forks out of the triple trees?

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The forks are still on the bike. I am talking about the bolt at the top of the forks that goes through the handle bar plate. I will take a pic tonight.
              Sven
              '93 gsx1100f Kat

Comment

If you're talking about the pinch bolt then it only needs to be loosened a couple of turns. Do that for the pinch bolt in the upper tree and the one in the lower tree and the fork will slide down, out of the trees. The bolt you need to remove to replace the fluid/rebuild the forks is at the top of the fork leg, where it comes through the upper triple tree. It's a plug in the top end of the fork leg and should look like a really big bolt head inline with the fork. That's what you want to break loose before loosening the triple clamp pinch bolts to remove the fork leg.

Here:
                ftp://ftp.billvannewkirk.binhoster.c...ld%20Pages.pdf
                Last edited by Wild-Bill; 10-31-2011, 10:16 PM.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

The FTP site you provide is asking for a user name and password before it will download the PDF. Going to take a few pics now...
                  Sven
                  '93 gsx1100f Kat

Comment

DOH!

Try this:

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thx Bill. I have the same service manual. However it is from the 1988 model
                      Sven
                      '93 gsx1100f Kat

Comment

Same manual. There was a supplement released in 89 that covered the 89-93 bikes.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                        HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                        X