No crank

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No crank

I just adjusted my valves.

Started the bike and let it run for 5 minutes , revved it a little everything seemed ok. switched off the engine. Meanwhile the only thing I did was to rev it to 2-3k gently nothing else.

then I tried to crank it again without touching anything. nothing happens.

I really didnt touch ANYTHING. I was standing next to the bike just looking at it while it warmed up plus revving it a couple of times to 3k.

So regarless of not doing anything I have to check everything.

Things I have checked:

1. Key ignition is on
    2. It is in neutral. checked mechanically and the neutral light is green.
    3. The sidestand is up. I even sprayed some wd 40 on the switch extender and pushed it in a few times.
    3.2 Clutch is in ( I even tightened the clutch wire just in case its not tight enough . not that Ive had any clutch wire problems before )
    4. Ignition fuse is OK.
    5. starter relay fuse is OK.
    6. the harness assembly connections near the relay switch on the left side of the are all OK ( visually ) I detached all of them looked at the connections. none were rusted or corroded. then I reconnected each one again.
    7. disassembled the starter switch completely. sprayed wd 40 where the switch is. I tried to look at the two parts while trying to crank and there is no electrical spark between the two parts.....hm ( nothing corroded or rusted in there btw )

Sounds : No sound at all. not even the starter relay going on / off.

Battery : perfectly OK , it cranked easily the first time, the headlight is bright and I have never had any battery problems. neither have I had any starting problems.

Model bike: 2001 gsxf 600

Next steps : I have my multimeter at my parents house so if nobody has any sudden suggestions Im going to head to the shop and buy another one so I can actually measure whats comming from the :

1. sidestand switch
    2. clutch switch
    3. ignition switch
    2015 BMW S1000R

Did you flip the shutoff switch back to run?
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Originally posted by 5forty2 View Post
      Did you flip the shutoff switch back to run?
      Yes see number 7. didnt mention the shutoff but I really disassembled every single piece in there and tried to switch on and off.

Bought a multimeter

measured the sidestand switch: its giving me resistance when closed and no reading when open. so that switch is OK.

Tested the neutral switch by disconnecting the cable and the neutral light went off. no need to measure it when I already have a testlamp already connected

The clutch switch I dont know / see the cable connection so not sure where to measure that.

also disconnected the connections I could see and sprayed some wd 40 on them and reconnected.

I just remembered that there are two giant connections over the headlight assembly I need to check.
      2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I recently had the same problem. Intermittently when I would push the start button, nothing. Checked battery terminals, ect, ect. Took apart the switch from the bars, opened it up...and removed a "cob-web" from inside the switch. No problem since! Hope your fix is as easy as mine was.

Comment

Measured killswitch ok at the switch and at harness connection near headlight. Same with starter button
          2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Clutch switch is right on the clutch lever....check there as well. Should be two wires going into the switch, check for voltage going in as well as out. If in doubt, connect the two wires together to complete the circuit and see if that works.

Comment

mine was doing that and it was a bad connection where the harness from the kill switch plugs into the next harness under the dash. Yellow connector iirc
              sigpic

Comment

Holy mother of ****ing.....hghjfggjjfbkjj....btw it was the clutch switch. it had loosened at the handlebar
                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

The (evil) clutch safety switch is a lawyer-inspired abortion Suzuki installed at the base of the clutch lever. It prevents you from starting the bike without holding the clutch lever. It was such a POS that Suzuki made it easy to get rid of the thing. Follow the wires from the base of the clutch lever down to where all the connectors are under the tank. They will join the main wiring harness with a pair of bullet connectors. (Yellow/green wires) Disconnect the switch wires and plug the two wires from the main harness into each other.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

thanks for the help guys. its a job well done. adjusted the valves and changed the CCT spring.

I still have to sync the carbs to get it perfect but not in the mood for that at the moment.

btw didnt know the CCT assembly was so damn sharp...

2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Kat bite... lmao

Comment

lol that kat has bitten me more than once. but still not in the ***
                        2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                          btw didnt know the CCT assembly was so damn sharp...

That there is the reason I wear mechanics gloves. It's not to keep my hands clean, they are always dirty anyway. It's so crap like that doesn't happen. Busted knuckles more than that, but that too.

Comment

totally agree. problem is I have my big stash ( including 5-7 pairs of gloves ) at my parents house and my small stash at my place. the only gloves I could find today was latex gloves. I wore them for about 15 minutes before they were all cut up and soaked in sweat. so that was a waste. getting tired of buying two sets of every thing ( for stuff I already have several sets of ) think I need to bring some of my gear over here
                            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Working...
                            X