No announcement yet.
X

clutch conversion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my last question....of the kits available for the katana...should i get the one that includes the steel separator plates? I notice that both EBC and Barnett make a kit that includes them and one that does not..

Comment

If yours are good, than there is no need.

Comment

Well I have not dug into it...bike is still assembled. I just know the fiber plates will need it forsure as the clutch is starting to slip at high RPM and the cable adjustment has not corrected it.

Since the bike is an 88 with over 60000kms I will just get the kit that includes them and be on the safe side.

I also noticed during a closer inspection of my shifting mechanism that the splined shaft coming out of the cover for the shifter lever to attach to has some play in it. When I apply pressure downward or upward without making the bike change gears you can see a small amount of movement(aprox 1/16 of an inch) that you can move the shaft in and out of the cover. I also have a small amount of play in the universal links on the shifter linkage itself...Is this normal what I have described or do I have something starting to go bad?

The bike goes in all gears fine...2nd gear is a little hard compared to the other gears but it does not grind it just feels like it kicks in a bit hard. From what I have learned reading the KR this is normal (about 2nd being harder shift than other gears)

A little advise please

Comment

It's not a brand new bike anymore, some slop is normal. I wouldn't worry about it. Yeah, 2nd gear is an issue on the Pre's if you abuse it.

Comment

Oh i know it's an old relic and that it's lucky it runs, I have been going through it slowly to bring it back to a reliable ride. I was concerned that i would be putting a clutch into a bike that the transmission is about to crap out on...I have not looked at any drawings yet, but what is behind the cover that the shaft is floating on?? is there a thrust bearing that has some play? I'm sure to fix it would involve splitting the cases so i'm hoping its nothing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post
              Oh i know it's an old relic and that it's lucky it runs, I have been going through it slowly to bring it back to a reliable ride. I was concerned that i would be putting a clutch into a bike that the transmission is about to crap out on...I have not looked at any drawings yet, but what is behind the cover that the shaft is floating on?? is there a thrust bearing that has some play? I'm sure to fix it would involve splitting the cases so i'm hoping its nothing to worry about.
              Well, let me give you $.50 worth of free advice:

If you are going to be digging into the engine anyway, order yourself a Factory Pro shift kit, and throw that in while you're at it. It really makes the 1-2 shift (and all the other shifts as well) more positive. The lever will be stiffer, but once you get used to it, it isn't bothersome at all. The GSXR I have now doesn't have one, and I feel like I'm kicking a wet noodle compared to shifting the Kat.
              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
                Well, let me give you $.50 worth of free advice:

If you are going to be digging into the engine anyway, order yourself a Factory Pro shift kit, and throw that in while you're at it. It really makes the 1-2 shift (and all the other shifts as well) more positive. The lever will be stiffer, but once you get used to it, it isn't bothersome at all. The GSXR I have now doesn't have one, and I feel like I'm kicking a wet noodle compared to shifting the Kat.
                Thanks for the tip

I think my clutch perch is in need of replacement...will I be able to use one off any pre? Would a post clutch perch with the pre setup?

Comment

Working...
                X