• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by teddy View Post
    ftfy...
    Lollerz!

Comment

Something else is at play here.

Again, a slip on with stock netting exacerbates an already lean condition on a stock bike. What jets are you running?
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        Something else is at play here.

Again, a slip on with stock netting exacerbates an already lean condition on a stock bike. What jets are you running?
        I agree that something else is at play, but his symptoms as presented is pointing to a rich condition not lean. Which is why it makes no sense that it started with the new can... unless it's completely coincidental and unrelated.
        Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dmhx1215 View Post
          So I bought a slip-on for my 2006 kat 600 and now my gas mileage has gotten terrible. I'm not quite sure what I'm looking for in the forums to search for answers because I'm not exactly mechanically inclined. At least not with motorcycles. So, would anyone be willing to help me? Also have a hell of an afterfire on decel over. Get about 65 miles out of a tank. The slip-on is a two brothers v.a.l.e m2.
          Badfaerie, according to his first post he has a mix of symptoms. Afterfire is lean, crappy gas mileage is rich.

To the OP, does the condition change when you run it on Prime or with the choke on?

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
            Badfaerie, according to his first post he has a mix of symptoms. Afterfire is lean, crappy gas mileage is rich.
            Yes, I get this, but he can't be lean and rich at the same time. The preponderance of his symptoms point to rich, the mileage, the plugs, the bogging down with the mileage being the biggie.

I suspect that he was running rich before the exhaust swap as well because his gas mileage is below the "where it should be" mark. He attributed that to the fact that he's a big guy, but if that were the case Tim and I should should see vastly different mileage on the same bike and we don't. In fact riding 2 up should tank your mileage, and it doesn't, not by the 15-15mpg less he was getting before the pipe.

So, here's my suspicions...

1- The new can wasn't installed / unpacked properly and so there's a restriction there greatly increasing the back pressure and making things go funky. Not real likely, but easy to check, it's just a slip on.
            2-His carbs are cruddy and just getting cruddier and he noticed the drop in mileage when the new pipe went on, but it was that way all along.

Tim (Kreylyn) has this trick that never ceases to amuse him. He'll pull in the clutch and hit the kill switch when coming into a tunnel, killing the engine. Then in the middle, flip the kill switch back and let out the clutch shooting a fire ball out of his tail pipes. I'm not sure if that's a back fire or afterfire, but it's caused by a build up of fuel (rich) and I very much suspect that it is very similar to the "afterfire" the poster is seeing.
            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Okay, so, I readjusted the carbs properly, problem is, now I'm blowing fireballs. Lol and I'm about 3 turns out now on the a/f screws. no restriction in the exhaust, new spark plugs.

Comment

Houston, we have a problem.

Check the pipes coming out of the cylinder head. Is one or two significantly colder than the others?

Comment

Apparently it only did it once. The fireball that is.

And no I haven't had a chance to check the pipes. Taking my kids out for dinner.
                  Last edited by dmhx1215; 10-14-2011, 06:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

And no I haven't had a chance to check the pipes. Taking my kids out for dinner.
                    You've got your priorities all wrong there!

Comment

None of the pipes are colder than the other. All about the same. 2.5 turns out on the A/F screws, pipe on, no restriction. Oil level is good, no fuel in the oil. Same thing as it was before. Went riding after screwing with all of that and in total it was 45 miles of riding, burned about a half a tank. It's slightly better than it was before, but not by much. And I still have a hell of a backfire/afterfire on decel. Still not as strong as it was, but certainly still there. So we've eliminated the restriction in the exhaust, fuel in the oil, A/F screw adjustments, so what's left? Rebuild/stage 1 rejet? Also I asked the guy I bought it from a few things. There's two petcocks on the bottom half of the carb rail where I'm guessing hoses should go. The two upper petcocks have hoses on them, but connect to nothing. He said he removed the two lower hoses because it made the bike run like schit. Plus the hose that connects to the bottom of the air box, is non-exsistant. Maybe a wiring diagram. This bike is becoming more of a problem then it's worth.

Comment

Hole in the bottom of the airbox needs a hose with a plug in the end of it....that's part of your running like crap issue.

Comment

Does the hose need to be a certain length? Or would a 4 inch piece of vacuum hose with a cork in the end work fine?

Comment

Does the hose need to be a certain length? Or would a 4 inch piece of vacuum hose with a cork in the end work fine?
                            It should come down to below the swingarm. That way when it collects fluid/oil/water, you can pull the plug and drain it. For now, anything is better than a hole though.

Comment

You guys are awesome. Will be trying as soon as I'm off work. Now how about the two petcocks on the lowet carb rail?

Comment

Eh, what? Petcocks are valves that allow fuel to flow...sure hope you don't have any of those on your carbs.

Tell ya what, pictures are worth a thousand words........

Comment

Working...
                                X