X

Sooo... new slip-on.. terrible mileage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dmhx1215 View Post
    Pulled the plugs, they're not black yet, but getting there. Which is a rich burn. And I'm also a big guy, so getting 150 miles out of a tank woupd be great, i usually get 100-120 tops.
    100-120 is on par with any bike...why do you think you are getting bad mileage?

At that point you should be able to add about 3.5 gallons to your tank which is between 30 and 40 mpg...
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If you are going by the gas gauge on the bike, you are neglecting the fact that the gauge is fairly conservative, and that reserve holds over a gallon.
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'm estimating mileage based off of a ride I took. I live in Maryland, and work in annapolis. Filled up after work, rode home. 10 miles. Rode back to my girlfriends house in annapolis the following day, and back home. Burned a half a tank. 30 miles, a half a tank? That was with the slipon. Then put the stock pipe back on, I can ride to and from work a few days in a row without needing gas. That's why i said the pipe killed the mileage. However, as soon as the rain stops, I'm adjusting thd carbs and putting the slipon back on.

Comment

Originally posted by dmhx1215 View Post
          I'm estimating mileage based off of a ride I took. I live in Maryland, and work in annapolis. Filled up after work, rode home. 10 miles. Rode back to my girlfriends house in annapolis the following day, and back home. Burned a half a tank. 30 miles, a half a tank? That was with the slipon. Then put the stock pipe back on, I can ride to and from work a few days in a row without needing gas. That's why i said the pipe killed the mileage. However, as soon as the rain stops, I'm adjusting thd carbs and putting the slipon back on.
          There is nothing about putting a slip on that could be causing it to go rich like that, that I know of, or can conceive of. I have to agree with Kreylyn, I think it's a coincidence. Your float needles aren't sealing off properly and it started at or around the time you put the slip on on.
          Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

have you checked your oil for signs of fuel in it yet? quick way would be to check the level and see if it's over-full or at least at a higher level than what you remember it being last...

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Yes ive checked the oil. Just changed it, no gas mixed in. So that's fine. And I'm sure you guys are right about the carbs, however like i said I'm new to this so I'm just learning. But believe me I'm taking it into consideration and reading about the posibilities. I have no idea what caused the bad gas mileage. All i know is, one day ill fix it. Lol.

Comment

Alright, so I drilled the plugs out. Tried 2.5 turns out, 3 turns out. It gets to about 4k rpm and won't go any higher and runs like ****. Any new suggestions?

Comment

Is this with the new pipe or old pipe?

Comment

New pipe.

Comment

When was the last time you did or had a valve adjustment done?

Comment

sounds to me like you need to pull the carbs off and do a thorough cleaning...just from curiosity, did the bike happen to sit for a while anytime recently? Krey found out the ethanol in the fuel these days will 'marble' up and plug things right up in your carbs if they sit for too long....
                        Last edited by teddy; 10-14-2011, 11:49 AM.

You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Ive never had one done. God only knows. I'm not the first owner. I'm about to take it to a shop and just say **** it.

Comment

I know this is probably ridiculous, but you'd be really upset if you tore into things and this was the problem all along....

Are you absolutely sure there's nothing in the new can blocking it off? Maybe some stray packing material or such, or a rag got left in the mid-pipe, or something stupid like that?
                            Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

Valves need to be done every 7500 miles or so. I think that, combined with dirty carbs is killing you here.
                              Last edited by teddy; 10-14-2011, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                                Valves need to be done every 7500 miles or so. I think that, combined with dirty out of synch carbs is killing you here.
                                ftfy...

Comment

Working...
                                X