A little runability help.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little runability help.

03 Katana 600.
    First things first, heres a small list of the aftermarket stuff it has.
    D&D Full exaust system,
    1 K&N airfilter on every carb, clamped on.

Second the maintenance things I have done whithen the last 1k miles.
    Oil and filter,
    2 new tires,
    Battery,
    Plugs,

Third the things I have done to try and fix the problem,
    Replaced the fuel,
    Replaced the inline fuel filter,
    checked vacuum lines,
    took apart and cleaned the fuel petcock,
    cleaned the in take fuel filter,

Finally the problem,
    The bike will start up and warm up using the choke perfectly, it will rev up to full rpm perfectly (makes the problem hard to duplicate). while riding I will get a couple of loud pops from what sound to be infront of and below me then it will start to stall out, (feels like it starving). then it will die. After a lot of cranking it will finally refire and I can ride it a little bit further. When I reach my destination it will sit and idle fine but it does feel a bit warm.

any ideas? your help and ideas are very very greatly appreciated!!

one other note: I have not done anything at all with the carbs (yet) and I'm not sure about the fuel/air mix, jets and needles. but given the exaust and air filters if someone could give me the best settings for each I'll have a great starting point for when and if I clean them.
    Last edited by joecamel75; 09-27-2011, 07:31 PM. Reason: missing info
    PO3 USCGR, Sector Puget Sound.

eeeveryone will tell you this right off the hop...

ditch the K&N filters, put on the stock air box with a clean stock oem filter (not the K&N one) and should be problem solved

also carbs should be jetted for the full exhaust....factory pro stage 1

Comment

So you have a full exhaust AND pod filters with stock carbs?

Yeah...you need to fix that...
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The bike is at the moment how I bought it, with the filters and exaust. I havent looked at the carbs yet but with the other work the prior owner put into it I have a hard time thinking he didnt mess with them. It ran amazing for almost a year these symptoms are new. I'm trying to find a stock airbox and filter, having a hard time getting a decent price.

Comment

Originally posted by joecamel75 View Post
          The bike is at the moment how I bought it, with the filters and exaust. I havent looked at the carbs yet but with the other work the prior owner put into it I have a hard time thinking he didnt mess with them. It ran amazing for almost a year these symptoms are new. I'm trying to find a stock airbox and filter, having a hard time getting a decent price.
          You would be amazed what people will cheap out on with these bikes...

Easy to tell, pop a carb cap and see if the needle is adjustable.

I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

your main problem is likely the carbs not being jetted.

when a full aftermarket exhaust system is installed it will flow better than a stock one. because they are not fuel injected but carb engines there is no computer to compensate for the change....you must jet the carbs to correct this in balance. Pod filters may work with this setup but will need to be played with forever and a few days past that to get it right!

I would put the factory pro stage 1 jet kit in and do the stock airbox with filter.
            if you have issues after that the carbs may need the be synced and may need a good cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post
              your main problem is likely the carbs not being jetted.

when a full aftermarket exhaust system is installed it will flow better than a stock one. because they are not fuel injected but carb engines there is no computer to compensate for the change....you must jet the carbs to correct this in balance. Pod filters may work with this setup but will need to be played with forever and a few days past that to get it right!

I would put the factory pro stage 1 jet kit in and do the stock airbox with filter.
              if you have issues after that the carbs may need the be synced and may need a good cleaning.
              Just an FYI, even Fuel Injected bikes need a retune after a full exhaust install. The computer will only make minor adjustments. That's what PowerCommanders are for.

Also, the carbs need to be synced any time they are removed, technically. Especially after a jet kit. It's not a may need to be situation. You're close.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                Just an FYI, even Fuel Injected bikes need a retune after a full exhaust install. The computer will only make minor adjustments. That's what PowerCommanders are for.

Also, the carbs need to be synced any time they are removed, technically. Especially after a jet kit. It's not a may need to be situation. You're close.
                Yup, should the heard the afterfires on mine before I got a pc...would have thought my exhaust was a 12ga.

Comment

I got a stock airbox with boots. Just buy a new filter.

Krey
                  93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ok I "popped a top" and removed the #1 needle and it is adjustable. It is set one up from the bottom.

Comment

Ok I "popped a top" and removed the #1 needle and it is adjustable. It is set one up from the bottom.
                      How many levels does the needle have? That will help narrow down which kit and which main jets are likely in it.

Comment

it has 5 spaces. I just ordered an airbox and filter, so I hope it something that simple.

Comment

it has 5 spaces. I just ordered an airbox and filter, so I hope it something that simple.
                          It will be, im pretty sure 5 slots is a Factory Pro kit so you got the best one available.

Factory airbox and filter, FP stage 1 kit using FP's rec. sizes and done, ride the bike away

Make sure you set the float heigh correctly though.

Comment

will do, It'll be a few days till the box gets here so I'll let ya know how it go's then! Thanks again for all the info and input, it's been helpfull and may have saved what little hair I have left!

Comment

will do, It'll be a few days till the box gets here so I'll let ya know how it go's then! Thanks again for all the info and input, it's been helpfull and may have saved what little hair I have left!
                              At least you're one of the smart people who realizes that $50 to set the bike back to stock and get a good baseline is a bargain

Comment

Working...
                              X