No announcement yet.
X

Spark plug wires - am I just stupid?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, I haven't heard of these other boots, but that makes sense.

Still worried about whether I screwed it in right, though, lol. I hate rubber/plastic screws .
    '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
    '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
    '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
    '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
    '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      The plug boot will screw onto the wire and be tight if the wire end is not "stripped". If you can't get the boot to screw on tight, or... you can fairly easily just pull the boot off with out having to unscrew it... then clip 1/2" of the wire off (just cut it wire cutters). Now just screw the boot in on that.

This will give you a new tight connection point for the boot, and make a much better connection on the wire.

If the plug wire is hard and not flexible at the end... cut it off. If other portions of the wire are hard and not flexable... time to replace the wire.

Simple to remember...

Wire use a clip to hold them in the coils
      Plug boot screws on the wire.
      Boot is pushed onto the plug.

Krey
      Yeah, the last inch of the plug wire is a bit stiff, so I should just clip the whole damn thing off?

Is the whole inside wire threaded so it doesn't matter where I cut it? Or is just the end threaded and I have to re-thread the end or some ****?
      '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Syndacate View Post
        Yeah, the last inch of the plug wire is a bit stiff, so I should just clip the whole damn thing off?

Is the whole inside wire threaded so it doesn't matter where I cut it? Or is just the end threaded and I have to re-thread the end or some ****?

The prong in the boot is threaded and "self tapping" for the wire. Just cut the wire, screw on the boot tight, done.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

The prong in the boot is threaded and "self tapping" for the wire. Just cut the wire, screw on the boot tight, done.

Krey
          Ah, cool, so I'll just cut the end off all the way through then, then re-screw the tube into it, and push it into the plug.

Should be good, right?

Thanks guys!
          '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Syndacate View Post
            Ah, cool, so I'll just cut the end off all the way through then, then re-screw the tube into it, and push it into the plug.

Should be good, right?

Thanks guys!

That's exactly it. Make sure you do all 4 plug wires that way...if one is hard, the others are probably too.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

That's exactly it. Make sure you do all 4 plug wires that way...if one is hard, the others are probably too.

Krey
              Yeah, I bought a set of coils and all 4 wires from a guy here on Kat riders.

Seems the ends are stiff on all of them, I'll cut 'em and put them together before putting them in - hopefully that'll end this sputtering crap, 99% sure it's ignition related..
              '04 Yamaha R1 - sold

Comment

Working...
              X