'93 Suzuki Katana 600 Chain Problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '93 Suzuki Katana 600 Chain Problem

Hi everyone,
    I own a 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 and within the past couple days I've noticed the chain has sounded like it is binding up. I believe the tire is out of alignment or the chain needs to be adjusted but I don't know how to fix either of these problems. The chain is loose even around the teeth of the rear wheel, and I'm worried this could cause some major problems. I had the bike suspended in air w/ a jack today and was trying to adjust the chain by the bolts on the swing arms but no matter how much i tightened or loosened the chain it still sounded like it was binding up when i spun the back tire. I'm completely lost and would appreciate any help given, especially pictures, thank you in advance...

Josh
    Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway.

There are probably a bunch of o-rings missing, get a new chain.
    Need those hard to find crush washers for the bottom end of your forks? PM me, i've got plenty

News from my latest doctors appointment "It's not a psychotic break, it's a psychotic fracture."

Scars are tattoos with better stories

Comment

Always adjust your chain with the bike on the ground, unloading the suspension on a lift will not give a correct adjustment. There is a 'how-to' sticky thread that will cover replacing sprockets and adjusting a chain properly, give it a read.

Read this too..
      If it has to do with tires & wheels, then you're in the right place.
      Best tire for a Katana? What's the tread life on a particular brand ? Size of a stock rim?
      Chains & Sprockets? These questions and so much more are addressed right here !

If you have o-rings missing, cracked or missing rollers.. replace the chain. Don't trust the marks on the swing arm for adjusting either, just about every swing arm is different and will be off.
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Originally posted by baku342 View Post
        The chain is loose even around the teeth of the rear wheel...

This means time for new chain and sprockets. If you can pull the chain away from the sprocket... it's stretched out and needs replaced. Chains and sprockets are wear items... like tires. Eventually you have to replace them. You just get a few more miles out of them than a set of tires.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thank you everyone for helping w/ this situation... the chain does look pretty rusted and it has a reddish tint to it. I figured I was going to have to replace the chain but i didn't know I had to replace the sprockets as well so thank you for that! Now i guess onto the next question... is replacing the chain and sprockets a difficult task? Can anyone help me through replacing them because I've very new when it comes to working on bikes. Thank you for any advice!
          Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway.

Comment

Use the search function and most of your questions will be answered...
            -Noe-
            2000 Katana 750

Comment

If you have an air impact with 33mm socket, chain tool (to break the old/rivit the new chains), and a few basic tools to remove the sprocket cover and rear wheel... Nope, not hard at all.

Start reducing that tool list you have and the job starts to get harder.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

plus angle grinder / dremel tool
                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Working...
                X