X

88 katana 600 factory Pro help

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 88 katana 600 factory Pro help

I am about to put in the Factory pro jet kit that i just received.

I have read through a lot of old post and i wanted to ask if anyone has some tips for doing the install on the 88 600 carbs....i know they are different than the 90-94 carbs so I assume a lot of the settings people use when tuning will be different for me...

Right now driving the bike without the jet kit installed it has a lull all gears around 4000-5500 rpm. I can avoid this lull by not opening the throttle all the way, it accelerates quite smooth like this, but gets crackly when you open throttle all the way. I know i need to jet the carbs so it works with the new full exhaust i put on but is this going to fix my problem? i thought the jetkit reduces and eliminates the poping on decel and high rpm pull..

I dont want to spend alot of money on these carbs as i want to put a set off a 90-94 600 on for next years riding season. I got the jet kit with the bike when i bought it or else i would just have put on the 90-94 carbs now and be done with it.

any advice is appreciated....

the carbs are 90-97 dude. As far as the 88-89 600 advise, I really can't help you there. Factory Pro provides really good instructions. Just follow them.

Comment

That's the plan.

One last question...What are these kits suppose to have in them??

mine was sealed but I got 2 different size of main jets (4X #127.5--->says smaller than stock) and (4X#125) Which is even smaller yet??

It mentions pilot jets but none included?? says option beside them, but I got 4 new needles but they also say option beside them..

Was i suppose to get new pilot jets too?
      And are these main jets smaller than stock? I woulda thought they should be bigger..

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post
      Right now driving the bike without the jet kit installed it has a lull all gears around 4000-5500 rpm. I can avoid this lull by not opening the throttle all the way, it accelerates quite smooth like this, but gets crackly when you open throttle all the way....
      Is this going to improve with the jet kit or do I have another issue?
      Last edited by 88kat-rider; 09-25-2011, 12:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

No, it does not include pilot jets. Sometimes the main jets that are stock are too big, so Factory Pro includes smaller mains. DO WHAT THEY SAY! If you have "popping" you need to adjust the A/F screws, you can't just throw a jet kit in and make it disappear.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          No, it does not include pilot jets. Sometimes the main jets that are stock are too big, so Factory Pro includes smaller mains. DO WHAT THEY SAY! If you have "popping" you need to adjust the A/F screws, you can't just throw a jet kit in and make it disappear.
          Well this is my first street bike...i would assume you would expect some poping regardless of how well you have it set up. It's not very bad in my opinion, but that's why I'm asking...i don't really know.

I have the A/F screws turned out 3 or 3.25 turns out now (can't remember), but It was alot worse when it was set at 2.5 out. It would be very fuzzy crackly during acceleration in the midrange when throttle wide open. How far out can I go on the A/F screws safely before they will drop out??

I just wanted to check about the jets...I will follow the directions perfectly....just thought it odd they went smaller...
          Last edited by 88kat-rider; 09-25-2011, 12:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post
            ...i would assume you would expect some poping regardless of how well you have it set up....
            If the carbs are set up right you won't have any popping and it'll pull strongly at all rpms.

If you're having to back the A/F screws out that much with stock jetting then you've probably still got some blockage in the idle circuit (which will affect all rpms.). While you've got the carbs out to install the jet kit go ahead and soak the bodies and then blow the passages out. Make sure the rubber plugs over the pilot jets are in good shape and seal well, too. That'll affect things as well.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
              If the carbs are set up right you won't have any popping and it'll pull strongly at all rpms.

If you're having to back the A/F screws out that much with stock jetting then you've probably still got some blockage in the idle circuit (which will affect all rpms.). While you've got the carbs out to install the jet kit go ahead and soak the bodies and then blow the passages out. Make sure the rubber plugs over the pilot jets are in good shape and seal well, too. That'll affect things as well.
              The 88-89 600 carbs don't have rubber plugs.

Comment

Sure enough. He's got an 88. Lost sight of that.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

awesome, thanks for the tips

Comment

Working...
                  X