X

2003 GSX750F Katana Cold start issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2003 GSX750F Katana Cold start issue

Last issue i had was the cooling fan, that has been since unplugged which has been saving my battery..

My latest issue is, Cold starting in the morning with full or 3/4 choke on prime sometimes takes 3-4 cranking attempts

i'm thinking its a sparkplugg issue or the battery not sending enough volts to the (coils?).

Any ideas or input on possible fixes is appreciated

bad battery not sending enough voltage to everything?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chill View Post
      Last issue i had was the cooling fan, that has been since unplugged which has been saving my battery..

My latest issue is, Cold starting in the morning with full or 3/4 choke on prime sometimes takes 3-4 cranking attempts

i'm thinking its a sparkplugg issue or the battery not sending enough volts to the (coils?).

Any ideas or input on possible fixes is appreciated

Orange wire on the coils should be above 10.5 volts with the key on. That's a good place to start, as is checking battery voltage overall.

Comment

I know this post is pretty old but I'm actually having the same issue with my bike except she won't start at all if its cold. If its warm it starts but I still have to give a little gas even with the choke on, regardless I'd like to fix my cold start issue and was curious if you got your issue resolved, if so. What did you do? I just got a brand new battery installed.

Comment

Originally posted by bostel View Post
          I know this post is pretty old but I'm actually having the same issue with my bike except she won't start at all if its cold. If its warm it starts but I still have to give a little gas even with the choke on, regardless I'd like to fix my cold start issue and was curious if you got your issue resolved, if so. What did you do? I just got a brand new battery installed.

"choke" adds fuel by directly squirting it into the cylinder.

Throttle adds only air and counters/cancels out the "choke".

You should only use 1, not the other.

Cold start issues are almost always going to be spark related. The only reason kats are hard to start cold (will start fine in warm weather, not in cold) is the power to the coils issues. If your not getting 11v at the coils when the battery is turning the starter over, your not going to start the bike easily.

The main reason cold comes into play is the batteries used in the bikes most times loose power output and cranking amps as the temp drops. Add to this the electrical design and weather exposure, it's possible to see reduced power to the coils enough to be an issue.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Lean engines don't like to start well cold either. Hence, the choke, as it fattens up the mix as well as adding a little bit of air to raise the idle RPM.

It takes quite a bit of fuel to fire a cold engine. Check that the choke slides are moving properly, and it may even be necessary to take the carbs off and make sure the choke circuit is clean as well.

Comment

So I must admit, the reason my bike didn't start was because of operator error. Today was a little cooler than yesterday and she fired right up when I decided to not use the throttle. Thanks a lot guys, I now have a fully functional bike.

Comment

Working...
              X