X

Dumb question...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by menteerd View Post
    big vacuum leak?? so flooding out the carbs wont cause the bike not to start?....shucks...where do i look for the vacuum leak????
    The float assembly will shut off fuel flow to the carbs if they are working properly, no matter if the petcock is wide open or not.

You do need to fix the petcock, though, because it should be stopping the fuel flow. If the carbs were doing their job, it wouldn't be a problem, but it becomes a big problem when you need to disconnect the carbs to take them apart..... if the petcock doesn't work, it will just keep pizzing fuel.

Vacuum leaks usually happen at the joint between the intake manifold and the head. They can also happen if somebody failed to replace the little o-rings for the vacuum ports, or if you have a vacuum port that isn't capped off. You can also get some similar symptoms if your pilot circuits are badly clogged up.

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
    I'm with you, there are other things at play. HOWEVER, you know the petcock is bad. Fix that first than start troubleshooting other things.
    I agree it needs to be fixed, but I don't agree with everybody responding pretty much ignoring all possible causes of the symptoms he is complaining about. I'm sure this guy will WANT to fix the petcock as soon as he disconnects the carbs from it and it's leaking gas all over.
    Last edited by loudnlow7484; 09-17-2011, 10:31 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Well, basic troubleshooting starts with fixing what you KNOW is wrong. Once those things are fixed, you can move on to troubleshooting other symptoms. Until you fix what you know is wrong, there is no point in diagnosing. There may very well be a vacuum leak, but his bowls could be flooding as well, the idle could be adjusted up so when it starts it revs to the moon, hard to say at this point. With the petcock flowing all the time, and the float needles most likely not sealing, it's hard to say what's wrong for sure.

Anyway, fix the crap you know is wrong. Then move on to other diagnoses.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
        Well, basic troubleshooting starts with fixing what you KNOW is wrong. Once those things are fixed, you can move on to troubleshooting other symptoms. Until you fix what you know is wrong, there is no point in diagnosing. There may very well be a vacuum leak, but his bowls could be flooding as well, the idle could be adjusted up so when it starts it revs to the moon, hard to say at this point. With the petcock flowing all the time, and the float needles most likely not sealing, it's hard to say what's wrong for sure.

Anyway, fix the crap you know is wrong. Then move on to other diagnoses.
        That only applies if it could actually cause the problem. If you told me your bike wasn't starting, I wouldn't tell you to fix your fork seals because I can see them leaking. Fix the stuff that could actually cause the problem. A lot of 20+ year old motorcycles have enough stuff "wrong" with them that you may never finish fixing it all. Better to focus on making it function correctly, IMO.

If the carbs are functioning correctly, then the petcock staying open won't make any difference. It should be fixed, because it is inconvenient when you take the tank off, but it's not going to cause running problems on an otherwise healthy bike.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
          That only applies if it could actually cause the problem. If you told me your bike wasn't starting, I wouldn't tell you to fix your fork seals because I can see them leaking. Fix the stuff that could actually cause the problem. A lot of 20+ year old motorcycles have enough stuff "wrong" with them that you may never finish fixing it all. Better to focus on making it function correctly, IMO.

If the carbs are functioning correctly, then the petcock staying open won't make any difference. It should be fixed, because it is inconvenient when you take the tank off, but it's not going to cause running problems on an otherwise healthy bike.
          True, but it is still a problem and poses a safety hazard. If it's broke, fix it. OP obviously had no idea the petcock wasn't supposed to work like that. Still, if the carbs are leaking, it could be a fueling issue and not a vacuum leak. That was my point.

Comment

You don't know your head from your ***, that's what's wrong with you. Yes, his petcock needs rebuilt. The carbs may be fine, fix the petcock first.
            ^^^^ This is the problem. This advice is dead f***ing wrong. And to think you have the audacity to tell somebody else that they "don't know their head from their ***"...... it almost makes me giggle

True, but it is still a problem and poses a safety hazard. If it's broke, fix it. OP obviously had no idea the petcock wasn't supposed to work like that. Still, if the carbs are leaking, it could be a fueling issue and not a vacuum leak. That was my point.
            Sure, it could be fueling, it could be vacuum, it could be trolls living in the fuel bowls....... but it couldn't be the petcock. And, as I just posted, you've been banging on that being a possible cause of the problem, and it isn't.
            Last edited by loudnlow7484; 09-17-2011, 11:02 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got.

Comment

Yup. It's raining here. What do you expect?

Comment

Originally posted by ImABananna View Post
                  me too.

he should totally check for tears in his seat.

but I understand both schools of thought. considering OP probably doesn't have years of wrench experience, i will side with fix what you know is wrong at this point (that's what I've been doing), he'll learn more about maintenance and have a better understanding of the systems of the bike, may pay off now or down the road

Comment

Working...
                  X