X

carb guide for an 88 600??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• carb guide for an 88 600??

I downloaded and printed off the carbs 101 so i could go into this with some help...

I started off following the directions but i soon find my carbs are different than what is pictured in the guide..

is there a guide or some pictures showing what all the internals are and where located?

The 88-89 600 carbs are kind of the red headed step child of Katana carbs. I'm not sure of a "guide" to help you. The manual provides specs at least.

Comment

ewwwww.....not what i was hoping to hear. These carbs im working on are kinda similar to the ones in the carbs 101 guide but there are things i don't have inside that are mentioned in the guide and then i have some other things in mine that dont show in the pictures in carbs101.

anyways i think i had some junk plugged up in the pilot jet... i am assuming is what this is, i can't see light through the tiny pin hole.

I have it soaking in some seafoam and will try putting some fishing line through it. anyone have another method for checking they are free of crud??

Comment

That's how you do it. Soak them, blow them out with compressed air, and try to see light through the hole.

Comment

alright well its all together. I gave it a quick test run, and now im running on all 4 cylinders (had 1 cold header pipe before). Now I didn't run it too long , just long enough to get the headers hot.

I don't know what a normal kat 600 would sound like running healthy, but i notice i have a loud tick or clacking in the top end of the motor. Is this normal for running cold or warming up?

I never noticed it before when running on 3 cylinders.

should i run it for awhile or is there something i should be looking at??

I know the bike has high milage (60,000 kms) and is probably due for a valve adjustment.

would a loose or sloppy cam chain do this?

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post
            alright well its all together. I gave it a quick test run, and now im running on all 4 cylinders (had 1 cold header pipe before). Now I didn't run it too long , just long enough to get the headers hot.

I don't know what a normal kat 600 would sound like running healthy, but i notice i have a loud tick or clacking in the top end of the motor. Is this normal for running cold or warming up?

I know the bike has high milage (60,000 kms) and is probably due for a valve adjustment.

Two most common noise makers would be out or near out of spec valves that need adjusted, or a cam chain spring that isn't working optimally to prevent the chain from getting a little loose.

Do the valve adjustment and check the spring on the cam adjuster is to spec, then go from there.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post

Valves should be done every 7500 miles or so. Time for a valve adjustment and a cam chain check.

Just curious....how long did you run it on 3 cylinders?

Comment

You have screw tappet adjusters, that's super easy to do. Just be glad you don't have tappet shims.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Two most common noise makers would be out or near out of spec valves that need adjusted, or a cam chain spring that isn't working optimally to prevent the chain from getting a little loose.

Do the valve adjustment and check the spring on the cam adjuster is to spec, then go from there.

Krey
                  Thanks for the advice, much appreciated!

and thanks for the help with the inital diagnosis there redkat that was awesome..would have never guessed it was running on 3 cyl.

I didn't run the bike long on 3 cyl...a few times for a span of 5 mins or less while troubleshooting. I never drove it, and never got the rpms very high.

Now that its running on all 4, is there any harm in me taking it for a short ride around the block with the bike likely needing a valve adjustment and camchain adjustment??. I want to make sure i don't have any other issues that are going to show up. like not holding 2nd gear or something like that..
                  Last edited by 88kat-rider; 09-11-2011, 12:44 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

No, it's not gonna do any signification damage. You'd be amazed at all the chuckle heads that ride their bikes with the valves out of spec. I'd say a good 75%.

Comment

i'm pretty sure its the cam chain that's making the clacking noise, but i will check the valve clearances too.

anyone know what the spec is on the 88 600? Im going to do some browsing on the katana wiki and look through the manual but want to make sure i read it right....sometimes it gets confusing figuring out what engine they are talking about or if its a pre or post..

Comment

0.10mm - 0.15mm (0.004" - 0.006") I don't know how they are in Canada, since you're on the metric system. But in the US, all feeler gauges come in inches.
                        Last edited by arsenic; 09-11-2011, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                          0.10mm - 0.15mm (0.004" - 0.006")
                          Thanks arsenic, much appreciated!

Is there adjustment on the cam chain tensioner or just replacement of chain if stretched too far?

Comment

Just replace the spring. It's super easy. I know a lot of folks here say it's an issue. CP (RIP) had a picture of a bad spring so it does happen, but I've never personally seen it happen. You don't have to replace the cam chain. Just the spring in the cam chain tensioner.

Comment

something i will no doubt need to get from a dealer or off ebay??

Any other common item i could rob a spring out of to make it work??

Comment

Working...
                              X