X

Clutch Adjustment

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Adjustment

My bike got laid down a little while ago and it snapped the chain, whipped around and broke my clutch Pushrod among other things.
    Just got done replacing the clutch cable, and also the left hand clutch pushrod (the shorter one) on my 91 Kat.
    My problem is that the clutch wont disengage. When i start it and try to go into gear it dies with the clutch lever pressed. When i revved up to 3000 and went into gear it lurched forward just a little bit and died.

So i adjusted the cable at the sprocket cover end and also on the left hand side screw pushrod adjustment and it still doesnt disengage.

I then drained the oil and removed the clutch cover (that has all the allen screws) and noticed that when when the clutch is depressed and in gear it will let the entire bike roll, yes with tension and definitely not like it does in neutral, but it will roll until i let go of the clutch then it stops like it would normally. This isnt normal i thought to myself. If i turn the adjustment screw with the nut all the way, then it will roll with the same tension with and without even depressing the clutch lever.

Im stumped, the new pushrod is definitely making contact with the other pushrod. Why when i adjust it to its maximum at the Sprocket cover, and at the screw adjustment will it still not disengage the clutch all the way??? Any luck would be much appreciated, i havent ridden a bike for 2 years now and lookin to get some riding time before it snows in a few months.

Checked your neutral switch or kickstand sensor? Those will kill the bike if it's in gear, and if the chain came off and did damage like that, it may be your neutral sensor or kickstand sensor got damaged too.

You got a green neutral light? If the bike can be in gear, you pull in the clutch and can move it, it sounds like it's working fine. Sounds like a sensor issue, not a clutch issue.

Comment

"The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
      1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
      2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Comment

Ive definitely got a neutral light and i remember looking at the kickstand sensor and it wasnt hit at all and works just fine. Just to clarify and so i troubleshoot correctly, with the kickstand down you can go start the bike, but as soon as you try to go into gear the engine gets killed. Correct.
          So i will remember to put the kickstand up obviously and then go into gear and see if it dies or not.

As for the neutral switch i haven't checked that. Where is it located exactly, i have an FSM but its faster to ask.

Other question, i still have to fill it with oil before i can start it obviously. Can i just use automotive SAE 10W-40 or is bike specific oil necessary? Sorry i know this is probably found in another post, if it is hook me up with the link.

Comment

Use bike oil. Detergents in automotive oil can cause clutch issues.

So you looked at the sensor, but did you test it with an Ohm meter? If you have a neutral light, then the sensor is probably OK.

Comment

That was it. Just the kickstand sensor. The kickstand has been bent so it has to be raised up on the exhaust to be in the off position. Now i just gotta take care of the oil leak. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Here is the BEST way to adjuste the clutch....
                ive read everyway online and the manuals... all will get u by but this is the BEST way for the best clutch feel.

remove the lower fiaing. loosen the right upper fairing but no need to remove it.
                remove the clutch cover.
                remove the adjuster cap on the sprocket cover
                turn in the adjuster on the clutch lever for max clutch free play

now in the center of the clutch basket is the push rodand bearing... you sould be able to spin it. now adjust the push rod on the sprocket cover until you JUST feel resistance/drag on the pushrod on the clutch backet.. Stop. Back the adjuster screw off 1/2 turn. the tighten the jam nut. Now adjust the free play at the cable at the sprocket cover (it is possible without removing the fiarings, just loosen them)
                make sure one the cable is adjusted the pushrod in the basket still turns freely
                Then re-install the clutch cover etc
                this will eliminate the excessive clutch play many people get when it warms up... and will ensure the adjustment is correct and not dragging
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by Nikev View Post
                  That was it. Just the kickstand sensor. The kickstand has been bent so it has to be raised up on the exhaust to be in the off position. Now i just gotta take care of the oil leak. Thanks for the help.
                  Welcome!

Comment

Working...
                  X