X

Yamaha fzr q?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha fzr q?

I wasn't sure where to put this so here it landed.

The short:
    How swappable are the parts (ie motor, rotors, wheels, ignition (to include keyswitch), and electrics) between an '89 400 and 97 600 yamaha fzr?

The long:
    I have an '89 yamaha fzr400 that I picked up from a friends garage. It does turn and even at times turns over and slightly runs. It needs alot of stuff though such as ignition switch, rotors on the front and possibly some other stuff. I also found a crack in the block back by the clutch cover which is causing an oil leak.
    I found a '97Fzr600 that a friend said everything should bolt upto easily. The bike on cl has mostly everything I need and very little of the stuff i don't. The guy is asking $400 for it but I could likely talk him down $50 or $100. I'm supposed to run down tomorrow and look at it at 10am. TIA for your help! DAns

I am not sure about the wheels, ignition etc. but I think back in the early 90s lots of guys would put the 600 motor in the 400 frame.
    “If you don’t like change, you will like being irrelevant even less.”
    -Former Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld

2002 DRZ400E
    1994 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by flipz34 View Post
      ..back in the early 90s lots of guys would put the 600 motor in the 400 frame.
      true that.. or the RZ350 guys wanted the forks and swing arm and wheels for their race bikes..

FZR400 parts are hard to come by these days... I'd ditch the 400 and stuff an rz350 engine in it....
      http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
      http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
      '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
      "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
      "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Great! I was worried about fitment and connectivity but most ppl I talked to said that things did remain swappable between years and these sizes.

Comment

I'm so jealous, always wanted a fzr400. A lot of fzr 600, yzf 600 and even some r6 stuff will fit on a fzr 400.

www.fzrarchives.com, lot's of great info to be found on that site on upgrading your fizzer.
          Kyle

Comment

LOL, don't be too jealous yet, I'm still waiting on a title. I did check the vin against a website that Krey pointed a few ppl towards and it did'nt come up stolen but that website is user based. If someone who doesn't know to put their bike in that database when it's stolen then it won't show up. I asked my insurance agent but he said that he can't run a vin to check if it's clean like that. Anyhow, thanks for the resourse. I'll keep u in mind if I run across anymore.

BTW, AWESOME resourse! Just a butt ton of info! Also told me much of what I need to know about this swap! BIG thanks to you again W!
            Last edited by Danskat; 09-07-2011, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danskat View Post
              LOL, don't be too jealous yet, I'm still waiting on a title. I did check the vin against a website that Krey pointed a few ppl towards and it did'nt come up stolen but that website is user based. If someone who doesn't know to put their bike in that database when it's stolen then it won't show up. I asked my insurance agent but he said that he can't run a vin to check if it's clean like that. Anyhow, thanks for the resourse. I'll keep u in mind if I run across anymore.
              link me please!
              Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
              Tony
              94 Katana 600

Comment

Hah I saw that post for the 97' fzr600, sounds like a good deal for a running engine and suspension even for $400 if it all swaps over. Let me know if you get it, I could help you work on it if you wanted.

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                  link me please!
                  i believe this is the correct link?! https://www.nicb.org//
                  "The shortest distance between two points is for people that don't ride!"

2001 Suzuki TL1000R Sold to Cintidude "May you be one with the Torque!!"
                  1998 Suzuki Gsxr 750 SRAD
                  2006 Suzuki Katana 600

Comment

Yup, that look like it.

Thanks for the offer Godjockey! I currently have the 400 down in my GF's garage in Harrisburg. I may bring it up here depending on how far I get on my Kat this winter. She has a funny wobble that could be bearings or a bent swinger so she comes first this winter!

Comment

Just reread this...I should specify that it's the Kat that has the wobble and not my Gf :-p

Comment

Interesting trivia... the timed record for Deal's Gap is held by an FZR400.
                        Pics
                        Pics
                        No pics yet
                        Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

VERY interesting trivia!

Comment

Working...
                          X