Ignition lock won't engage

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ignition lock won't engage

Hey everyone,

I have a weird question. I bought a used 02 Katana 600, and the ignition won't turn to lock. It turns a little, but when I looked at the little cam coming out of the ignition barrel, it seems like it doesn't quite line up with the hole it's supposed to go in to. It seems like it's a bit higher than the hole.

Has anyone run into this before? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help
    Caveman

2002 Katana 600
    A bunch of dirt bikes
    A wife who takes my bike!!!!

Originally posted by Caveman View Post
    Hey everyone,

I have a weird question. I bought a used 02 Katana 600, and the ignition won't turn to lock. It turns a little, but when I looked at the little cam coming out of the ignition barrel, it seems like it doesn't quite line up with the hole it's supposed to go in to. It seems like it's a bit higher than the hole.

Has anyone run into this before? Any ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks in advance for the help

Sounds like there might be an issue with the front end being assembled correctly. I would double check that to make sure.

The lock is attatched to the ignition, bolted to the top triple. If that is too high, something must be keeping it from being seated properly.

At least, that's my guess from here not able to see the actual bike.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Our bikes have an ignition lock? When I pull my key out I can still turn my forks... is that what you mean by ignition lock because if they do then mine is broken lol

Comment

Originally posted by 91GSX750 View Post
        Our bikes have an ignition lock? When I pull my key out I can still turn my forks... is that what you mean by ignition lock because if they do then mine is broken lol

Turn the bars to the left almost all the way, then you should be able to turn the key past off into the lock position.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I had the same problem...my triple tree wasn't tapped down all the way on one side causing for a misalignment.

I Used a piece of wood between the triple tree and the hammer to prevent damage, knocked it down all the way and it worked like a charm.

I was also told I needed a new ignition switch because mine was very sticky...you can free them up if it's a problem with it sticking by using some liquid graphite. My ignition feels like new.

Comment

I had the same problem but it ended up being the switch itself. Once I replaced it, the key would turn all the way over to the lock position.

You can try to lube the ignition first. It may help to lubricate the internal lock and/or tumblers.
            How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
            How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
            How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
            How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Nice, I tried and if I push down I can turn my key past the off to what I am guessing is the locked position, expect it wont let me pull the key out and it also doesn't stop me from turning it

Comment

Originally posted by 91GSX750 View Post
                Nice, I tried and if I push down I can turn my key past the off to what I am guessing is the locked position, expect it wont let me pull the key out and it also doesn't stop me from turning it

Make sure your bars are turned to the left to line up with the hole the peg will instert into. If it's not turned fully into the locked posistion, you can't remove the key.

You turn it nearly 1/2 turn back into the locked posistion. Just make sure your leaving it in park (lights on).

Krey
                93 750 Kat

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  Make sure your bars are turned to the left to line up with the hole the peg will instert into. If it's not turned fully into the locked posistion, you can't remove the key.

You turn it nearly 1/2 turn back into the locked posistion. Just make sure your leaving it in park (lights on).

Krey
                  I'll have to give that a try tomorrow. Thanks for the info Krey.

Also I need to message you regarding my 750 to 600 tailswap. Got a couple questions for ya

Comment

Thanks for the idea. I'm gonna try that first.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm gonna try dry lube, then tapping, and replace i if all else fails...
                    Last edited by Caveman; 09-12-2011, 11:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                    Caveman

2002 Katana 600
                    A bunch of dirt bikes
                    A wife who takes my bike!!!!

Comment

Check to see if the switch was replaced before, I had the same problem. The po ground off the ignition bolts and part of the switch supports, had to shim the switch to line up.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I got mine to work, I just had to not turn the wheel as sharp as I was turning it before

Comment

I just changed out my ignition switch with one I got with a matched key seat and gas cap lock. Took 10 minutes. No drilling out the security screws, no taking the triple tree off. I ordered a $6 security torx bit set off Amazon. Took out what appears to be a standard torx security screw and reused them. Nothing special looking about them.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X